Boston in Broadway returning with ‘Hadestown’ this November

James Bartlett
The Citizens Bank Opera House in Downtown Crossing sparkles with its “Hadestown” display.

Broadway in Boston is returning this fall with the Tony-winning musical, “Hadestown,” which is making its premiere at the Citizens Bank Opera House on Nov. 2

Suffolk University is offering tickets to the upcoming show, which will be available for purchase at the Suffolk Performing Arts Office (PAO) on the 3rd floor of the Sawyer building.

“It’s a sort of R&B blues-inspired jazz musical that’s based on a Greek myth. It has fun and upbeat music and really interesting and exciting staging,” said Kristen Baker, director of the Suffolk Performing Arts Office.

Baker said students should follow the Suffolk performing arts Instagram or sign up for their newsletter to see when tickets to shows in the city are on sale. Tickets are sold for $20 to 25; about a quarter of face value. Students can use their Ram card to purchase tickets. 

Baker said the goal of selling discounted tickets to students is to get them immersed in theater at an affordable cost. 

“It can be hard to find out what’s worth your time, and so we do a lot of programs to try and smooth that path a little bit and sort of get people to step into the cultural scene of Boston, and to start to feel like it’s theirs as much as anybody else’s,” Baker said.

A few other notable shows Broadway in Boston has planned this year include “Hamilton,” “Pretty Woman,”  “Wicked” and “Anatasia,” among others. 

Kat Langan, a freshman at Suffolk and a Broadway fanatic, has been involved in theater her whole life and is also a part of PAO’s dinner theater happening this fall. She said she is looking forward to attending in-person theater again

“I’m really excited… it’s been a huge part of my life and I’m glad, as a viewer and a participant with theater, that we’re able to do in-person stuff again so we can get that actual connection,” Langan said. 

According to the Boston in Broadway website, proof of vaccination will be required when seeing any show through December 31 with some exemptions. Masks will also be required.