Suffolk students face the Green Monster

From+left+to+right+Julia+Valanzola+and+Avery+Jipping+posing+with+Wally+the+Green+Monster.+
Nick Peace / Contributing Photographer
From left to right Julia Valanzola and Avery Jipping posing with Wally the Green Monster.

Suffolk University PAO students sang their hearts out at Fenway Park as they kicked off Fenway’s College Series, singing the National Anthem before the Boston Red Sox vs. Baltimore Orioles game April 10.

Members of various Suffolk performing arts groups got a behind-the-scenes tour of Fenway Park before walking on the field and singing for the entire ballpark following the first pitch.

Members of The Common, Rampage, Ramifications and more practiced for the first and only time together on the street outside the park before coming together and kicking off the game.

“When I was singing on the field, all I could think about was my fifth-grade self, watching her first Red Sox game at Fenway and just starting to find her passion for music, and knowing how glad she would be to know that she’s having the opportunity to stand on the field and sing,” said junior Carson Stiles, lead singer for The Common. “It was almost euphoric knowing that I had made it to a place to be able to do that, and doing it with my friends made it all the more incredible.”

After the students got their time in the spotlight, they got to enjoy the game free of charge, side by side with their peers.

“Truly participating and experiencing a new state was exactly why I came to Suffolk, so being a part of events like this are super important to me and my college experience,” said freshman Dora-Liisa Meriste. “Singing at Fenway was an amazing honor for me, as someone who is from a different state and also an immigrant. It truly makes me feel connected to the community and to the city my college is in.”

On the field, the students got to take pictures with their friends and Wally the Green Monster, and take in the moment while it lasted.

“For me, growing up in Massachusetts, I’ve always been surrounded by the Red Sox. It was an amazing opportunity to be able to go on the field and record the national anthem, and it was also really cool to see into the production of these games,” said freshman Nick Peace. “When we were on the field, everything was very synchronized. We had people from the Red Sox guiding us on where we could stand, and that is a side of these games that I feel is rarely seen.”

Along with photographs and recordings shot by Suffolk film student Peace, a professional Red Sox photographer captured the moment and intended to share their work with the PAO. 

“Fenway is such an iconic ballpark and every Boston sports team means so much to this city,” said senior Connor Mudge. “It’s awesome to have the opportunity to be a small part of that.” 

Upon arrival at the ballpark, students were given Red Sox sweatshirts made in blue and gold to represent Suffolk’s colors. Institutions including Boston College, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Northeastern University, Babson College and Harvard University will continue the theme of highlighting local schools throughout the season.

“The Red Sox national anthem opportunity three years ago was the first time that we had a combination of all of our vocal groups working together on a single song. We have had the good luck of having Professor Allen Thomas, from CJN, providing musical direction for the ensemble,” said Kathy Maloney, associate director of Suffolk PAO. “We loved the result and each year, we have been able to have the representation from each group grow. This year we had 35 students performing.”

Though the Red Sox lost 7-5 to the Orioles, Suffolk students won yet again, continuing this annual opportunity of singing beside Boston’s Green Monster.