Suffolk’s first homecoming a hit for students, alumni and parents

By: Lucie Coppola

There was something for everyone at Suffolk University’s first ever homecoming weekend.

Thursday through Sunday was jam-packed with events that catered to current students, faculty, families, and alumni.

“Everyone had a place this weekend,” said Elizabeth Conley, director of student and young alumni engagement and annual giving, a major organizer of the event.

Suffolk used to host separate alumni and family weekends, but this year merged the two to create homecoming.

“I think that all the students, alum, faculty, and families were all really happy and excited to be a part of homecoming so it was a great opportunity for them to come together and bridge that gap,” said Conley.

Alexa Simeone, assistant director of orientation and new student programs, said, “It was great seeing traditional events from both weekends come together to create a vibrant and dynamic weekend.”

One event that really stood out to students and families happened to be the study abroad and international education info session.

Left to right: SGA Treasurer Tyler LeBlanc, Dean Nancy Stoll,
and SGA President Billy Cerullo
(Photo courtesy of Suffolk SGA)

“It was unbelievably informative, and really gave me a sense of what it would be like to take on studying abroad,” said freshman Mary Fitzgerald. Her parents also said, “It gave us a sense of what it would be like for her if she were to study elsewhere, and made us feel really good about the opportunities she has here.”

The event filled students in on how credits would transfer, where they were able to study, and shared experiences from past students who have studied abroad.

The “Suffolk Makes A Splash” event at the New England Aquarium was a hit sensation among a number of students, families, and faculty members.

“The Aquarium event was a huge success, I think it was an excellent showcase of how we utilized the city,” said Conley. “It was a great way to celebrate Suffolk and a great way to celebrate Boston.”

Sophomore Maria Paredes and her aunt Josephine Paredes said the aquarium event was their favorite of the whole weekend.

“I really liked how private it was, at night it looked so much different, and so beautiful,” Paredes said.

The Mallard family, who also went to the aquarium, remarked, “It was just a lot of fun to browse through the aquarium during after hours. The food was great, and so were the performances.”

Another event that knocked the ball out of the park this weekend was the performing arts department’s Fall Fest variety show. The show featured six company numbers and many other independent and group acts. The company performed five musical numbers, and a dance piece.  Some notable independent and group numbers included a classical pianist, a standup comedian, an original rap and pop song, an African dance, and a mixed martial arts performance. Fall Fest was filled with talent that showcased the diversity that Suffolk University holds.  

Barry Dingueli, a Suffolk alum who graduated in 1983, said, “All the events were very nice, but my favorite would have to be the variety show.” Many other alumni members remarked that they enjoyed the performances as well and liked how they integrated the audience and alumni in.

And last, but not least, was the flag football between Suffolk and Emerson on the Common. Many students, alumni, and faculty members came out to either be a part of the team or cheer the team on and show some Suffolk pride. After 45 minutes of fun-filled ball Suffolk took the lead and won the game. Suffolk now holds the title for Common bragging rights, has the bronze duck in custody, and remains undefeated.

The past weekend was a time where everyone involved with Suffolk was able to feel like part of the community and see why Suffolk is such a wonderful place.

“Seeing these different populations coming together and interact was the vision all along,” said Conley.

The first ever homecoming set a very high bar for the years to come.