SGA senate positions up for election, address dining hall issues

Sean Buckley

Suffolk University’s Student Government Association is looking to the future of the university and its students as the newly elected E-board kicks off the year.

From welcome-back concerts on Roemer Plaza to give aways at the involvement fair, SGA’s E-board and senators said they are jumping into the new year with a newfound enthusiasm for student involvement.

SGA meets once a week on Thursdays to talk about different issues they have or that the student body at large has. 

When asked about the purpose of the student government, SGA President Clinton Oreofe said the organization aims to connect the Suffolk community and be a platform for student advocacy.

“It’s one of the main things we stand for, being for the students by the students; being the voice of the students to bridge the gap between students, faculty and everything else,” Oreofe said.  

According to Oreofe, being an organization “for the students by the students” means that even though they are trying to affect change in a serious way, it’s still a student-run organization. He added that emphasizing inclusivity within SGA is a vital aspect of the E-board’s mission.

“We want to change the culture and get everyone involved because some people can’t make it to the meetings every week,” Oreofe said. 

Sophomore member of SGA Andrew Gomes echoed Oreofe’s statement about the importance of SGA events and engagement with the Suffolk community. 

I’m really looking forward to a new academic year, as well as a new year filled with SGA events that will truly show the student body that we can show up and show out for them,” Gomes said. “They’ve entrusted our entire governing body with making sure their needs and concerns are addressed and that’s exactly what we’re going to do this year.”

Diversity is another important focus of SGA, making sure students not only have a voice, but also making sure students feel comfortable and welcome at Suffolk, said Oreofe. SGA looks to accomplish this task with its diversity committee. 

Nine senate positions and nine senator at-large positions are up for election. Elections end Sept. 27 at 5 p.m. Students can vote via the link sent to their university email.

At its Sept. 21 meeting, SGA discussed student issues surrounding dining. Student attendees and senators asked various questions regarding meal points and dining logistics. 

Student complaints about dining  have been brought up by SGA in previous years. SGA has worked with administration to give students new dining hall options, like the Ram Box that was introduced last year. 

Any Suffolk student is welcome to join several SGA committees regardless of SGA membership, said Oreofe. For students looking to bring up specific concerns to the senate, SGA encourages students to fill out a form on its website or attend one of its weekly meetings.