Ten COVID-friendly activities to do in Boston this spring

LEISE JONES / Flickr
The Boston Public Garden in the spring.

As we enter March, spring and warm weather are quickly approaching. While social distancing rules are still in place, there are plenty of things to do around the city. Here is a list of 10 COVID-19 friendly activities to do in Boston this spring!

Poetic Botany: Artists and Plants (March 1 – April 23)

The Suffolk University Gallery is hosting an exhibit that examines the connection between scientific botany and art. The exhibit features work from artists Beth Galston, Ann Wessmann, Jenine Sheros and Michelle Samour. 

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the gallery is only open to the Suffolk community by appointment with groups no larger than four at a time. The gallery can be found on the 6th floor of the Sawyer Building through April 23. 

Enjoy the Charles River Esplanade

As the days start to get both warmer and longer, why not take a trip down to the Charles River to watch the sunrise or sunset? Get a warm drink at any of the surrounding coffee shops, gather up some friends and walk along the Esplanade. Or bring blankets and food to curl up by the water and watch the spectacular views of the city and water. 

Study in the Common or Public Garden 

With classes mostly online, we spend hours a day sitting in front of our computer. Why not take the computer outside? Go down to the Boston Common or Public Garden in Downtown Boston to sit under the sunshine and study among the squirrels. If you need Wi-Fi, go sit at an outdoor cafe that surrounds the park. 

Wander the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

Just a quick subway ride away from the Boston Common is the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. The museum has many exhibits, from contemporary art to a courtyard decorated with flowers that change with the seasons. The museum currently has an exhibition by Shen Wei called “Painting In Motion” that runs until June 20. Tickets are $13 for students. The website offers audio guided tours, maps and room guides to help you get the most from your experience. 

Shop at Boston’s farmers markets

As we enter a full year of social distancing, it is vital to recognize the importance of supporting small businesses and farmers. Though the markets will look different than normal, many are still open and ready for you this spring. Surrounding the Suffolk campus, there is the Copley Square Farmers Market that opens on May 14, and the Boston Public Market at Dewey Square that opens June 2. 

Take a trip to Spectacle Island

Just off the coast of Boston is Spectacle Island, where you can hike, swim and explore in 114 acres of nature. Due to COVID-19 guidelines, lifeguards and picnic areas are not available, but you are still able to wander around and lie on the grass to enjoy the nice weather. 

Ride a Swan Boat in the Public Garden

The swan boat rides at the Boston Public Garden will open for the season on May 8. This is a tentative date, so be sure to check the website before planning your trip. A 15 minute ride is $4.50 for adults, with no reservation needed. This is the perfect opportunity to see some friends, and enjoy the beauty of the Boston Public Garden. 

Visit the Scarlett O’Hara House in Beacon Hill

Hidden in Beacon Hill, this two-story greek building is tucked away between the classic brick homes that make up the neighborhood. The building is actually a 3D painting created to cover a concrete wall. The neighbors of the painting are said to decorate the “porch” for each season with wreaths and flower boxes. Take a trip down to Beacon Hill and see if you can find this optical illusion. 

Walk the Freedom Trail

The historic city of Boston holds many pieces of history that we walk past everyday without a second thought. The Freedom Trail takes you on a path through history, giving you a glimpse of museums, churches, meeting houses, burying grounds, parks and historical markers from all the way back to the 18th century. On a nice day, take a trip around the city following the iconic brick path and explore the history hidden beyond Suffolk’s campus. 

Travel to Castle Island and Pleasure Bay 

Castle Island is just over half an hour away from the Boston Common. The island holds the site of Fort Independence, one of the oldest continuously fortified sites in British North America. The island is home to many scenic overlooks, a boardwalk, walking trails and even a beach to swim at. The restrooms and showers are currently closed due to COVID-19. Dogs are welcome on the beach before May 1.

Follow Alida on Twitter @AlidaBenoit