Mexican Student Association provides sought after community for students on campus

Courtesy of Mexican Student Association

With such a diverse student body from a variety of places, it can be difficult for every student to find their place on campus. Suffolk’s many cultural clubs are meant to bridge that gap, but sometimes people still feel left out.

Mexican student Gerardo Saenz started the Mexican Student Association (MSA) to create a community for Suffolk’s Mexican student population.

“There was really nothing on campus for the Mexican students,” said the MSA president and junior entrepreneurship major.

With the help of  the Student Leadership and Involvement office and Gregory Jabut, director of international programs and services at the division of student success, he decided to start building a home away from home for those students.

“I want to bring more Mexican students together and kind of get to know each other,” said Saenz. “There’s a lot of international students from Mexico who have just gotten here this semester and want to know more people like themselves.”

Saenz hopes to make the club more interactive for Mexican students. He explained that he wants to connect members with the Mexican Consul General for Boston, Alberto Fierro Garza, with whom he has a close relationship, and even invite him to Suffolk for a talk.

The Mexican Consul helps immigrants with many legal issues or procedures, such as paperwork for visas. They also hold various cultural events. Garza can help students get involved and connected with the services the Consul offers.

Saenz said Garza may also be able to offer good advice and encouragement for Suffolk students if he gave a lecture for MSA.

The club’s main goal is to give members the chance to connect with one another, especially through events like pizza nights or bowling. These events will allow students to have fun and learn while making friends and finding a community here at Suffolk.

MSA is also looking forward to co-sponsoring events with other cultural clubs, like the Asian American Association. They have discussed having events that relate to various aspects of Mexican culture in the future.

Next year, the MSA wants to participate in the celebration of Mexican Independence Day in September.

“The Consul General throws a big celebration, and we’re going to be part of that next year,” said Saenz.

The event celebrates Mexican culture through food, live mariachi music, a DJ, traditional dances and games. There are also raffles and a piñata. This event will give the Mexican students a taste of home and a connection to the Mexican population here in Boston.

The rest of the MSA E-board consists of sophomore Javier Alonso as the vice president, junior Frank Clark as the treasurer and junior Xactani Herrera as secretary.

The club meets biweekly on Tuesdays from

12:15- 1:30. Saenz hopes the meetings will remain in Samia 114, though he will make interested participants aware of any changes. Anyone interested can follow @msasuffolku on Instagram for that information.