73 Tremont ramps up security

Ryan Boyle
Journal Staff

Starting this semester, students visiting the 73 Tremont office building will be required to check in with security to obtain a day pass before being granted access to the building.  The new security policy does not affect students who are visiting the library areas of the building.   Prior to this change instituted in August by the University, students could freely move throughout the building without needing to check in with security.  Staff members only needed keycard access afterhours to access the elevators.

The new policy requires all students, staff members, and visitors check in with security before they are allowed access to the rest of the building.  Students and visitors must present valid identification to be scanned into the system before a day pass is printed.  Staff members with offices in 73 Tremont have a special ID to tap against a card reader that doesn’t require a scan.

Officials said the sudden change was prompted by the lenders and the insurance company of the building.  Greg Gatlin, Director of Public Affairs, explains since 73 Tremont is considered a “high profile, prominent location,” the building management expects “a first class security system, and the same level of security as in other downtown locations.”

“It’s not effective and should have been implemented when other tenants were in the building.  Now it just causesa long line,” said sophomore Martha Alvarado.  The current procedure requires the security guard to scan the ID and wait for the system to process it.  Once the system logs the information, a badge is printed and given to the student.  With multiple students, visitors, and staff all accessing the building, a short line can form at times since everybody needs to check in.

In regards to the current process, Gatlin also said the University is “trying to speed up the process.  The system is only a month old, so were still in the very early stages.  We do want to make it quick and convenient for students to enter the building, while maintaining a high level of security.”

Sophomore Yancy Brown is not bothered by the changes or delays. “I think it’s efficient.  Security wise not everyone goes to Suffolk, so it’s smart so people are there to see their professor and not to fool around,” he said.

Students wishing to express their input on the matter may post a comment to the online version of this article at https://thesuffolkjournal.com.