Looking to bounce back from offseason rumble, Sox look promising in Florida

JD Conte
A summer night at Fenway Park

The Boston Red Sox are back, kicking off their spring training at JetBlue Park in Fort Myers, Florida. Preseason started Feb. 24 with a win against the Northeastern Huskies, followed by a tie against their first MLB opponent, the Atlanta Braves, the next day. The preseason lasts until March 28, with opening day two days later against the Baltimore Orioles. The Sox are currently undefeated, with their preseason record standing at 7-3-0. 

Suffolk University freshman Cormac O’Brien has high hopes for the upcoming season, if the Sox can minimize injuries. 

“I think there’s something to be said about such a strong start they’ve had in spring training. It’s a nice breath of fresh air and if there’s one sport that is defined by consistency, it’s baseball,” said O’Brien. “I think we’ll certainly have a better season compared to last year, especially with the hopes that everyone can stay uninjured.”

O’Brien said it’s crucial that the amount of injuries are limited this season when it comes to the possibility of a postseason run. Freshman Sean Curtis spoke of the much-needed impact of the new acquisitions the Sox have made in the offseason.

“If the front office decides to make transactions that will benefit the team throughout the duration of the upcoming season, we could be seeing October baseball in Boston again,” Curtis said. 

The question is: how is the team preparing to avoid a season like the last? What proper steps are being taken in order to make sure the same mistakes don’t repeat themselves, such as injuries and letting important players walk?

It’s clear the Red Sox have lost valuable players through trades and expired contracts where they were unable to get players to re-sign. When asked if this was a problem regarding last season’s outcomes, O’Brien talked about how contract issues happen all the time, but that wasn’t their biggest concern. 

“What’s even more important I would argue is extending Rafael Devers,” said O’Brien. 

Curtis agreed, pointing out how this has hurt the team in the past. 

“Throughout Sox history they have always had a reputation for letting go of talented players. We have seen this through cornerstones of the franchise such as Mookie Betts, Jacoy Ellsbury and of course, Bogaerts,” he said. 

The mistakes started almost immediately post-season last year, with signing new players and letting older, important players walk. The most notable was Xander Bogaerts, the standout shortstop, who signed an 11-year deal with the San Diego Padres in early December. 

2021 All-Star pitcher Matt Barnes is parting ways with the Sox, heading to the Miami Marlins. 

Other new players who might help this year’s team are a wide variety of pitchers, including Kaleb Ort, as well as infielder Justin Turner, who is coming from the Los Angeles Dodgers. Is the addition of players enough, or does the Sox management perhaps need to focus on other issues at hand, such as paying their players more? 

Regarding the future, both O’Brien and Curtis said whatever happens, they will always remain Red Sox fans. 

“The World Series may be a long shot, but anything can happen,” said O’Brien.

Although Curtis said he’ll always be a fan of the team, he said he is not a fan of recent transactions and decisions the front office has made. 

“I think if the team can gel together, get production from the cornerstones of the team such as Devers and if new players can step up, I think there might be a chance for them this season,” said Curtis. “These ragtag groups of guys can pull it off and make the playoffs,the right moves need to be made.”

Tune into NESN to watch the Sox face off against the Yankees on March 9 at 1:05 p.m. 

Follow Tracy on Twitter @tracylacara4