Flower pop-up in Chinatown celebrates Lunar New Year

Thomas Pholnikorn
A pop-up market of colorful flowers took place during the last week of January in Chinatown.

As the holiday season comes to a close in the city, Chinatown rang in the Lunar New Year with their annual flower market pop-up during the last week of January.

The pop-up market had several vendor stalls available for customers to browse. Vendors at this event sold flowers, plants and decorations in celebration for the Chinese New Year. 

The event was located inside the former Wine Gallery, next to Penang Restaurant in Boston’s Chinatown.

A popular seller that customers usually visit are the flowers from a shop in Malden, HH Florist owned by Helen Thao.

“It’s fun to meet new people and we always have regulars,” said Thao.

According to the sellers, they have been doing this pop-up event for several years. There are a lot of regulars and heavy foot traffic. Customers leave the market with a smile on their faces.

The flowers were stunning. They all have good, colorful shades, perfect for any occasion. Anyone who receives them will surely be in tears of joy.  

The prices at the flower pop-up are reasonable, for example, a small bucket of flowers costs $8 and a big one costs $12.

Several students from Suffolk University have visited the pop-up per recommendations from friends.

“They have good deals,” said Aqil Legopranowo, a Suffolk freshman. 

One student was captivated by all the flowers. 

“I need some green plants in my apartment,” said freshman Boryeong Kim.

If you have a chance, you should visit this pop-up event around January of next year. All the vendors will be there and you will not be disappointed.

Follow Thomas on Twitter @TPholnikorn.