Study abroad continues for students this spring

Courtesy of Aryeh Alex via Wikimedia

Suffolk University will still provide options for students to have global experiences even as the pandemic continues to restrict many aspects of life.

In 2021, the options for on-site study abroad programs are the Suffolk University Madrid Campus in Spain, Regent’s University in London, University College Cork in Cork, Ireland and Yonsei University in Seoul.

These options are available due to the borders’ of the nation’s entry requirements, which may allow only for students to enter the countries but not travelers.

Suffolk sophomore Andres Vasquez will be going to the Madrid campus this spring. Inspired by an article in The Suffolk Journal, he said he wants to spread his wings and experience independence.

“I will be fine as long as I follow the guidelines…” Vasquez said. “I want to know more about their culture and experience new opportunities.”

Students can also apply for a virtual study abroad option with Deakin University’s Cloud Campus, which is in Melbourne. Students are able to take one or more courses during a semester at home instead of physically studying abroad during the pandemic that can still help satisfy your Global Engagement or Travel requirements.

“We want students to study abroad in the safest way possible,” said Gregory Jabaut, the director of Suffolk University’s International Programs & Services.

This year, the center is giving students a new way to do internships. There is an online internship program that is a partnership between Suffolk and CAPA Remote Global Internships.

CAPA might be able to provide internship placement for students in Dublin, Florence, London or Sydney. Students would intern for 20 hours per week and enroll in one internship class with other interns. Of course, students have to enroll at Suffolk while doing this internship.

“Suffolk students are the best ambassadors of the world,” said Jabaut.

Before the pandemic, 200-300 Suffolk students typically did long term study abroad, meaning that about 20% of the student body went abroad each year. Only 10% of students at the Madrid campus are international students.

“There were not enough international students studying abroad,” said Jabaut.

Right now, there might be more exciting future projects coming for Suffolk’s students. The university’s staff is always trying to find more accessible global experience programs, more affordable programs and improve the summer programs and shorter programs.

There might also be programs for students after graduation, such as graduate programs abroad, fellowships and grant programs, as well as teaching abroad in another country.

To the students who have never been abroad, there are generous benefits. Students can academically stay on track for graduation, meet friends from different backgrounds and stand out with their resumes.

“There are not many students who have been abroad, however, Suffolk has given students opportunities abroad even as many other colleges have canceled their programs,” said Jabaut.