Production studio in the spotlight

Courtesy of Studio 73 Suffolk University Facebook

One of Suffolk University’s hidden gems lies tucked in a corner of the 73 Tremont building. Studio 73 is a broadcaster’s haven, providing opportunities for any student to get involved in the excitement behind television production.

Senior Elainy Mata is only involved in broadcast journalism as a minor, but regularly works in the studio as a student reporter for Suffolk in the City, a partnership with New England Cable News.

“This is something I never thought I could do, but it really is awesome. I wish every broadcast student would do it,” she said.

Mata is one of the students who broadcasts on NECN, producing her own packages and reporting during live shots.

“We set up cameras and make sure we’re connected to our TV and NECN so they get our feed,” she said. “As nerve-racking as it is to be in front of the camera, it’s really fun.”

Mata said the biggest reward so far has been the reactions she’s gotten received, referencing a package she did about the Edge for Vets organization that received a very positive response.

Senior Casey Hall, another Suffolk in the City reporter, is a broadcast journalism major and said the studio has given him a way to perfect his craft.

“It’s showed me the flaws that I have and what I need to work on,” he said. “I like the whole process beforehand and putting together something I made, like it’s my little baby.”

Jerry Glendye, Studio 73’s manager, said that recognizing one’s progress is a huge benefit for broadcasters, and students working in the studio can see that.

“When you start out, you’re learning who you are. When you’re in front of the camera, you’re a different person,” he said.

Siobhan Sullivan, a Suffolk graduate, produced her own show in the studio after working for Suffolk in the City herself, and said the greatest advantage of Studio 73 is the opportunity to learn.

“It was very eye-opening. It really helped us in the classroom; we grew as storytellers,” she said. “The freedom you have here is amazing.”

Sullivan’s former show, the Temple Street Report, featured short, segmented packages that summarized the weeks’ top stories.

Similar to Sullivan, senior Megan Post, a public relations major, has advanced from production assistant as a work study to a producer of a show she has revamped, Suffolk Insider.

“I wanted to expand my skills and change up a show to see what it’s like,” she said. “Learning the different skills and doing everything that comes with it is fun to learn about.”

Post also credited the Communication and Journalism department’s ability to provide students with a full-fledged TV studio.

“It’s such a draw. They allow students to jump in as freshmen, and it’s evolved a lot so I think they’re adapting,” she said.

Not only does Studio 73 give student reporters and producers a chance to show off their work, but it also provides work study positions, giving students an opportunity to learn the trade in a less demanding manner.

Junior Shavanae Anderson is a film studies major that finds great benefit from working in the studio.

“It makes me stay in practice. I’ve worked in a TV studio for the past six years, and it’s great because you get to see how things work,” she said. “I’m hoping to work for CBS one day.”

Anderson said that seeing how everything comes together gives her an appreciation for all media.

“We know the truth because we work behind the scenes; we make the magic happen. Not everyone knows how everything is put together,” she said.

One Studio 73’s largest benefit is giving CJN students a chance to refine their skills and prepare for careers. Mata said she is looking toward the future, using the studio to enhance her artistry.

“When you’re grabbing footage, getting interviews it puts into perspective what the real broadcast world will be,” she said. “It’s better to make mistakes now than in the real world. It gives us a better platform to get the job.”