Suffolk students see promise in Mayor-elect Walsh, disappointment in rejection of Suffolk Downs casino

By: Sam Humphrey and Melissa Hanson

State Representative Martin J. Walsh defeated City Councilor John R. Connolly in the mayoral election Tuesday, becoming Boston’s first new mayor in two decades.

Walsh beat Connolly by more than 4,000 votes. Several media outlets estimated that only a third of registered voters actually came to the polls.

Walsh will take office in City Hall Jan. 6, 2014, succeeding long-time Mayor Thomas M. Menino.

Walsh, a lifelong resident of Dorchester, has represented the Savin Hill neighborhood in the Massachusetts House of Representatives since 1997.

Known as the “labor candidate” of the race, Walsh was active in the Laborers Local 223 union, recently serving as a high-ranking union official until he resigned to run for mayor.

Walsh during a debate at Suffolk University
(Photo by Ally Thibault)

President of the Suffolk University Democrats Conor Finley and Student Government Association President Billy Cerullo, see a positive future for Boston with Walsh in charge.

“Marty Walsh will do well as mayor,” Finley said. “He’s been a proven leader, and he’s prepared” to serve the city.

Cerullo hopes that Walsh continues to “develop the city for younger people, specifically making sure there is enough housing and affordable apartments for students.”

Walsh will “need to focus on reducing crime, especially with [crimes that target] women.” Finley said. “He’ll also need to work on the city’s transportation systems and improving public education.”

Finley also noted that while unions heavily supported Walsh, he will have to balance those interests with the needs of the rest of the Boston’s residents.

“I’m excited to see what Mayor Walsh will bring to the table. Menino will leave a big legacy, so I’m interested in how Walsh is going to fill his shoes, while carving out his own legacy,” Cerullo said. He plans to watch how “the plans that Marty Walsh laid out are going to come to fruition in the coming years.” 

“Walsh ran a great campaign. He had a good strategy from the primary to the election,” Finley added. “His message resonated with a lot of different demographics in the city. I think that’s what helped him win, was different people around the city could get behind him.”

On his campaign website, Walsh said, “for this kid from Dorchester, having the chance to run for Mayor has been a dream come true.”

Voters outside East Boston High School Tuesday morning
(Photo by Melissa Hanson)

Tuesday’s election also included a vote on the proposed Suffolk Downs casino for East Boston and Revere. In October, Caesars dropped its bid for the plot of land, causing turmoil in official’s plans, and arousing doubt in residents in East Boston.

Caitie Lezell, a Suffolk University senior, was in large favor of the casino. Lezell, a Revere native who lives in an East Boston apartment, has family ties to the old racetracks.

“People focused on how many jobs the casino would create,” said Lezell, “but didn’t realize how many jobs it would destroy.” Lezell’s family, as well as many of her friends and neighbors, have jobs at the failing race tracks. Without a casino to bring in revenue, they will likely lose their jobs, she said.

“Ever since I was a little girl,” said Lezell, “money [at Suffolk Downs] has been a problem.”

The only solace to Lezell’s parents is that this will happen when their daughter has grown and moved out of the house, and not when they had to financially support her, she said.

Lezell thought Revere and “Eastie” seemed torn 50/50 over the casino. In her eyes, many residents thought the casino would be a “headache.” Ultimately, 56 percent of East Boston voted against the casino. But, 61 percent of Revere voters, like Lezell, voted in favor of it, prompting officials to question if the casino could be built entirely in the neighboring city.

As for Boston mayor, Lezell says she should have paid more attention. She did not study up on candidates since she knew she couldn’t vote, she said.

Tuesday’s vote also defined four winner’s in the City Councillor at Large race, and City Councillors for Boston’s nine districts.

Incumbents Aynna Pressley, Stephen Murphy kept their at large positions, and Michelle Wu and Michael Flaherty were also elected.

Salvatore LaMattina, Bill Linehan, Frank Baker, Charles Yancey, Timothy McCarthy, Matt O’Malley, Tito Jackson, Josh Zakim, and Mark Ciommo were elected to the nine districts.

Not every Suffolk student was following the mayoral election.

“I knew that Walsh won, but I didn’t really follow the race,” said Kevin Sung, a freshman. “I don’t know anything about Walsh or Connolly, other than they won the primary.”

In last week’s edition, the Journal interviewed Dave Paleologos, head of Suffolk’s Political Research Center, who noted that he didn’t feel the mayoral campaign brought the high level of excitement and participation among Suffolk students that the 2012 presidential campaign did.

Check out last week’s issue for the front page interview with Marty Walsh on his life and plan for students in Boston.