Performing arts office presents annual Fall Fest, students unite to celebrate homecoming

By: Lucie Coppola

This past Friday and Saturday evening, the performing arts office put on their annual Fall Fest performance in the C. Walsh Theater.

This year’s theme was set to be “Welcome Home” in honor of Suffolk’s very first Homecoming. The show was jam packed with talent, containing images that inspired the feeling of home and what it’s like being a part of the Suffolk community.

Spunky hosts Peter Costanza (junior), and Joseph Nordlie (freshman) guided the audience through intertwined company numbers, and independent and group acts with witty comments about Suffolk, the college experience, Boston, and much, much more.

The night started out with a rendition of Hairspray’s “Good Morning Baltimore” transformed into “Good Morning Suffolk U” performed by the company. Its take on this classic was well done with the band blaring in background and the company on point with choreography. This particular tune really came out with a bang setting the tone for the whole night.

Photo courtesy of Suffolk’s Performing Arts Office

Among the independent acts were freshmen, Mikaela Trzesniowski, Demiah Schulph, and Tyler Lehan, who call themselves The Floor Threes. They performed a three-part version of “How To Save a Life” by The Fray.

With a simple acoustic guitar and delicate harmonies, it was a beautiful performance. Another crowd-pleasing piece was an original rap song titled “I Wanna Be” by Masimba Dzanya. Sims had the audience hooting and dancing along as he wowed them with his genius lines and smooth vocals.

Other notable independent acts featured were stand-up comic Colin Barry, classical pianist Jennie Chung, a mixed martial arts demonstration from Forbes Lau, a dance number by Marissa Musumeci, an African dance performed by the Suffolk African Dance Troupe, and an original song titled “Fever” written and sung by Michael William Walker.

The company also did four other numbers, including a group dance.

The dance number was to a mix of songs that all had something to do with being or coming home, while images of families from all around the world were projected on the background.

The songs coupled with the screen images made for a truly wonderful performance and was able to show the audience how diverse Suffolk University really is.

The group of students featured in the performance were truly amazing and had the audience on their feet clapping in praise. Overall Fall Fest 2013 was a total success, filled with joy and incredible talent, a night to remember.