Suffolk’s diverse set of students come together for breast cancer awareness

By: Melissa Hanson and Ally Johnson

For the fifth annual year, Suffolk University hosted the human ribbon picture event Oct. 8, which had students from all over campus join together in the Ridgeway gym to pose for a picture in support of Breast Cancer Awareness month.

October is dedicated to raising awareness and educating the public about breast cancer. Nationwide there is a collaboration of events, national public service organizations, professional medical associations and now shutdown government agencies working together to promote breast cancer awareness as well as granting better and easier services to those in need.

Suffolk students participating organized themselves in the form of a ribbon, donned in pink t-shirts that read “Fighting Breast Cancer One Step at a Time 2013.”

Nikki Cignarela, a senior at Suffolk University, says she’s been attending for the past four years.

“It’s always fun even if it’s short and sweet,” she said. “It’s a great cause and I know people that have passed away from breast cancer so I’m a great supporter of these events.”

Many of the students who partook were involved in the athletics department. Eden Monsen, a freshman and member of the basketball team, said that while she was asked to go by her coach, she was glad she went.

“It’s important because the more people who can contribute the better,” Monsen said.

Photo by John Gillooly

Alexa Barrios, a junior, who was handing out the pink t-shirts to passerby’s and attendees said, “I am actually in the radiation therapy accelerated track here and am also a work study for the department. The program and the event relate directly to my major.”

Breast cancer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, barring some forms of skin cancer, is the most common cancer amongst women in the United States. The American Cancer Society’s estimates that about 39,620 women will die from breast cancer in 2013. They also state that at this time there are more than 2.8 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S.-including women both in and out of treatment.

On Sunday, steady rain didn’t stop Suffolk students from participating in the annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk on the Esplanade.

Suffolk student clubs weren’t shy of the rain drops and gray, gloomy skies. The Ramifications, S.O.U.L.S., Theta Phi Alpha, and individual students joined around 40,000 others for approximately six mile walk.

The Ramifications, Suffolk’s A capella group, strolled up to the hatch shell at 10 a.m. for their pre-walk performance. On stage the group of 15 preformed two songs, an old one and a new one, to please both young and old generations. They sang “Some Nights” by Fun and “Oh What a Night” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. The group said audience members were singing and dancing along.

“The crowd was really energetic despite the gray clouds,” said Andrew Hull, of the Ramifications. The American Cancer Society has asked the Ramifications to perform for two years now, and it is something they hope to keep as a part of their yearly routine.

“It’s something that hits home for our group,” said Dylan Santos. “We’re all passionate about it.”

“It was a really good experience just to walk,” said James Bailey. “The day was energetic and upbeat to keep positive.” He said that theme went into their song choices for the day.

It took the group just about three hours to complete the stroll along the Charles River, said Bailey.

Also arriving at the Hatch Shell around 10 a.m. were S.O.U.L.S. and Theta Phi Alpha. The groups registered as separate teams but walked together, said Jackie Bresnahan, a team leader for S.O.U.L.S.

The group of about 10-15 enjoyed the rain, rather than letting it wash out their spirits, Bresnahan said.

“It was really good to walk with people I care about,” said Bresnahan. The walkers started together but then went at their own pace.

“This is a cause that’s close to my heart,” said Bresnahan. “It affects women and men too.”

The combined groups raised around $700.

“People were ready and excited to walk,” Bresnahan said. “We wanted to be there.”