Mirembe encourages, creates awareness

Dedicated to promoting equal human rights, social justice and peace, Mirembe On My Mind is an organization at Suffolk that holds events to increase awareness about these causes and to fundraise to help communities in need. “Mirembe” is the Lugandan word for “peace.”

“We denounce the use of violence against humans, and work towards goals of helping those in post-traumatic situations, and in danger of being trafficked, through raising funds and awareness,” said Meghan Davis, president of the organization.

Events generally focus on one topic per week. Topics this semester have included global poverty and homelessness, women’s rights, Egypt, Libya, and Japan.

“Mirembe encourages anyone interested in current world events, human rights, and peace and justice to attend the events,” said Davis. “In the past, we have sold Ugandan paper pearls to benefit the building of a rehabilitation center for former child soldiers in northern Uganda.”

The paper pearls, handmade of recycled paper by northern Ugandan women, are used to make necklaces and bracelets. Although Mirembe is a young organization at the university, Davis believes it has been making a big impact on the campus community.

“We always welcome new faces,” she said, as regular meetings currently attract about 20 to 30 students.

“This past week, Mirembe worked with the Suffolk Democrats to hold events centered around raising awareness about global poverty and homelessness,” she said. “We had a great turnout. Both Mirembe members and Dems came out, as well as people from the Suffolk University campus and the greater Boston area.”

The events included a canned food drive, a virtual foodbank to benefit the Greater Boston Food Bank, showings of the documentary One Day at a Time and the movie The Pursuit of Happyness, and two guest speakers Professor Chun spoke to address the food crisis in North Korea.

“We are confident we raised a fair amount of money to donate to the Greater Boston Food Bank through the canned food drive, the virtual food drive, and donations,” she said. Davis believes students left inspired to make a change in the world.

Mirembe On My Mind receives its funding through a budget and initiatives from SGA. The group has also been working with a public relations class this semester to help raise awareness about the organization and its events.

“Mirembe works to build relationships with students of Suffolk,” said Davis. “And working with the PR class has been a great opportunity. We really try to work with another club or organization on campus for each event.”

The students in the PR class have helped the organization put together posters and advertisements for the events to increase student understanding of the causes that Mirembe takes on.

“Mirembe feels it’s important to promote around campus and make people aware of how many homeless people there are, within our Suffolk community and along Boston too,” said Alexis Eliopoulus, one of the PR students.

The organization is planning a few more events before the close of the semester, including an event centered on the emerging right to access safe and affordable drinking water for health and well-being, as well as equitable sharing of water resources.

Weekly meetings are held on Tuesdays at 1 p.m. in Sawyer 133.