Get to know SUNORML: Largest group on campus with major plans ahead

Unless you are one of the 1,400 members on the mailing list of SUNORML, the Suffolk University chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, you probably are unaware of the big moves that the club, which is the largest student-run organization at Suffolk, has in the works. Currently, the conscientious group is working on projects aimed at changing the drug policies of both Suffolk University, and beyond.

According to SUNORML President Jeff Morris, the group, which includes student, faculty, and public members, is taking on the state of Massachusetts. At their recent meetings, members of SUNORML have been working on thoughtfully-constructed testimonies in support of three pieces of legislation that have just been submitted to the statehouse, two of which promote the legalization of medical marijuana in Massachusetts, and one regarding taxation and regulation. As a group they have been preparing to talk to different representatives and senators, and professionalism is key. Although they are still waiting for the dates of the hearings to be released, the members of SUNORML are wasting no time in preparing for their big chance to make a difference, and have been revising and practicing their testimonies in hopes of being taken seriously in the political realm.

“I wrote [my testimony] from a student’s perspective,” said Morris. “We’re college students just trying to have a good time responsibly while living functional lives. There is no bulls**t. The problem is the committee members think we are bullsh**ting. They’re rolling their eyes and you can tell they just want to go home and eat dinner with their families.”

But they still have hope. SUNORML has gone to several similar hearings since their establishment in 2008, and the most important thing is to show support.

“I always say they’re very much a success,” Morris said. “You have probably 50 or 60 people who show up in favor of legalization of the pot bill- whether it’s medical or recreational. But the committee doesn’t want to listen because they feel like it won’t go anywhere. It seems like they’ve already made up their minds before it begins… even though there’s lots of support and hardly anyone against it.” SUNORML shows up at hearings with stickers to distribute, so that the representatives can see how much public support the bills have. “Numbers are good.”

SUNORML is still waiting to hear the hearing dates but when they find out, they will be listed at on the SUNORML Facebook page.

But this is only the tip of the iceberg for SUNORML. They have also been brewing up plans for changing Suffolk’s marijuana policies. According to Morris, when Sargent was president, the drug policy was difficult to deal with. Since Sargent’s resignation, things have been looking up for SUNORML and their Safer Campaign, which is formulated around the idea that marijuana is safer than alcohol. The campaign also sheads light on the fact that alcohol-related offences are taken much more lightly by Suffolk than those involving cannabis.

According to Morris, the fine for being caught with marijuana in the dorms is $100, which is also the maximum penalty for being caught outside the dorms according to state law. On the other hand, the fine for being caught in the dorms with alcohol is $35, whereas outside the dorms, you can be incarcerated for public drunkenness.

“The point is the laws in-state don’t match the resident hall policies. If you’re also caught with, say, a pipe and grinder, they’re an additional $75 each,” said Morris. “We think this is absurd, relative to the alcohol policy…  They think alcohol is safer than weed, which is clearly not the case. But I’m very hopeful. Barry Brown has been an excellent leader.”

This semester, SUNORML is taking a different route towards a new drug policy at Suffolk. They have been compiling polls and surveys that they plan to distribute at universities in the Boston area, which will ask students how they feel about their school’s drug policies, and whether a severe drug policy at a university would affect your decision to attend that school.  Then they will formally present the portfolio to the administration.

“We think this will influence Suffolk [to reconsider our drug policy]. Our school, a private institution, only exists to get more and more students every year, which basically means more tuition money. It’s going to be a huge research project, and hopefully the numbers will be in our favor.  We’d love to have a classic rally, but we want to see where the numbers take us. If that doesn’t work, then we will cause some good old-fashioned ruckus.”

The ever-growing group of cannabis enthusiasts is anything but a bunch of self-indulgent stoners discussing their love for bongs and their favorite munchies recipes: in fact, SUNORML has gained so much respect for its extensive involvement in the nation-wide fight for cannabis rights that it is often thought of as the NORML chapter for the entire Boston area.

SUNORML meets Tuesdays at 1 p.m. in Sawyer 041, and they have lots of exciting upcoming events, including their annual 4/20 celebration, a t-shirt tie dyeing event, film screenings, guest speakers, and a 3-D dodge ball tournament at  Sky Zone, a warehouse covered entirely in trampolines.

If you’re interested in getting involved in SUNORML, email them at [email protected], to receive weekly emails outlining upcoming meetings, legislations, and breaking cannabis news.