Suffolk students take trip to D.C. in partnership with Washington Center

Suffolk students pose for a picture in front of the White House in Washington D.C. Courtesy of Swara Gurau.

Earlier this year a group of Suffolk University students stayed in Washington D.C., thanks to Suffolk’s partnership with the Washington Center. Throughout the 10 day trip, they were able to attend alumni panels, talk to professionals in their fields of interest and learn more about the current state of American politics.

“My favorite part about the experience were the many opportunities to make network connections. Throughout the entire week we had gotten a better understanding about the 2024 election and made some important connections to have for our futures,” said Swara Gurao, a freshman political science major.

Professor Christina Kulich, Suffolk’s liaison with the Washington Center, said the program aims to acclimate students with the idea of networking, alongside exposing them to experts in U.S. politics.

“Getting over that imagined gulf between [the students] and quote on quote, important people, is huge,” said Kulich.

Though many students who traveled on this particular seminar were political science majors, these programs are offered to all students across all colleges and departments. Kulich said those outside of political science may take more away from this experience since it is not their area of expertise. 

“It is also incredibly important for students who couldn’t afford to do a semester away… whether that is because of family concerns or financial need, or student-athletes who are often unable to take off a semester or even students who are in the hard sciences who don’t have that kind of flexibility because of all the required courses,” Kulich said. “So for all of those reasons it’s important to offer it to students who otherwise wouldn’t have access to such rich experiences.”

Other than Suffolk’s communication line with the program down in D.C., Kulich is an instructor in the political science department and director of political science internships. 

The Washington Center has partnered with Suffolk for over 40 years, making it the longest-lasting connection of any program, and this relationship provides students of all ages access to programs like this, summers away, or an entire semester down in D.C.

Along with this trip is a course required for all students to attend. By the end of their vacation, classmates became best friends because of all the forced proximity and bonding time they had spent together, making the conversation on the Suffolk campus even better. 

“What I found to be the most life-changing experience is all thanks to Professor Kulich as she individually presented us with various important figures in the political realm with her connections. Most of them are Suffolk alumni,”  said freshman Mariajose Flores. “This fundamental experience in the introduction to networking has truly shaped me as an individual in the political field.”

The trip’s itinerary and classroom subjects varied, providing at least a single topic or activity for each person to enjoy.

For more information on this travel seminar or other study abroad programs, there are appointments available at the Center for International Education and Study Away.