Caribbean Student Network hosts ‘The Urban Collective’ fashion show

Cassidy Blaha
CSN’s models show off their outfits during the fashion show.

The Caribbean Student Network organized and hosted its first fashion show, “The Urban Collective,” Feb. 2. Sargent Hall’s Smith Commons was transformed into a runway straight out of New York Fashion Week. 

The lounge was dimmed to highlight a crossed catwalk, with DJ Javied Townsend at the front end of the runway. Attendees filed in wearing their most fashionable attire to this free, sold-out event, with the show officially making its debut at 8 p.m. 

CSN’s Vice President, Nayellie Estrella, and Secretary, Kayla Arreaga, took center stage to address the audience and paint a picture of what was to come. Arreaga told the audience that this show is a “celebration of community.” Arreaga and Estrella turned the spotlight over to the Student Government Association  president, Clinton Oreofe, and the Black Student Union  President, Kayci Resende-Abbott, the hosts of the evening. Soon after, the room fell silent, and the models came out. CSN held auditions for their show in the fall 2023 semester, casting models from all over Massachusetts. 

The models were dressed in eight local brands, picked out by the club. The re-imagined streetwear styles were designed by the brands KLIQ, Ajna Source, Dormant Debonair, Pushthru Brand, Vlush, Prophet Envoy, Dynasty Co. and Makeshift Studios. Each brand’s statement was read before the models took turns walking the runway, followed by the final group lineup of the entire collection, and a brief appearance from the designers. 

A medley of upbeat hip-hop and R&B music kept the audience and models captivated for the entire show. The show was broken up by two performances from local musicians, and a brief intermission where the audience was invited to shop the brands just outside the lounge. 

Local 16-year-old singer and songwriter, Carina Lopes, took to the runway after three brand appearances, singing a cover of “Killing Me Softly With His Song.” Luke Woods, an original artist from Brockton, performed two of his songs, “3 in the Morning” and “Toxic,” toward the end of the show. 

The Urban Collective’s last runway walk had the models wearing and showing off CSN’s new line of club merchandise, making the show even more personal to all their work. The show concluded with every model making a final walk, followed by the designers, the show’s choreographer, the hosts and the executive board of CSN, led by President Arantxa Melendez.

Melendez shared her gratitude for the success of this show with the applauding audience surrounding her, crediting her executive board for helping her bring this vision to life. 

“CSN is hosting this fashion show to make our presence known on campus. We want to hone in on the fashion scene that Boston has,” said Melendez in an interview with The Suffolk Journal prior to the show.

The show was unlike anything Suffolk had hosted before, and its organization and execution transported each attendee into an evening of feeling like a social elite. Melendez emphasized the impact of CSN’s hard work and collaboration.

“Six college students were able to pull something like this off,” she said. …It would not have been possible without all of us doing something.” 

The Urban Collective is a true testament to working as a community, and how far a little support, networking, and a dream can go.