Entrepreneur project turns to give back

Derek Anderson
Journal Staff

The Suffolk Organization for the Collection of Socks (S.O.C.S.) for Vets, a new community service campaign to provide homeless war veterans with warm socks, was launched at Suffolk this Monday. Odie Fakhouri, part of the graduating class of 2011, put together the campaign which has exploded, making $225 on its first day.

Fakhouri explained that S.O.C.S. for Vets all started in his entrepreneurial studies class. “Basically, this is stemmed from an entrepreneur project where we have to sell as many pairs of socks to as many people as possible for the greatest gross margin,” said Fakhouri.

From there, the project grew into the large campaign it is now. “One way I decided to do this is to put a community service spin on it so it goes back to entrepreneurial sustainability,” said Fakhouri  “The concept is, with a $5 donation you will provide a pair of warm socks to a homeless veteran that is registered at the New England Center for Homeless Vets.”

With a donation, people have an opportunity to fill out a sock cutout with their name and a message to the veteran that receives the new socks. “You stick them up here in the lobbies, back behind the bars at the local merchant’s, so when people and customers walk in, it entices them to participate and be a part of it,” said Fakhouri. “The concept in all this is a project that fosters entrepreneurial thinking while simultaneously giving back to the local community.”

The campaign has enlisted the help of multiple groups and individuals all over the Suffolk area. S.O.C.S. for Vets is being supported by Professor Suzyn Ornstein and Professor George G. Moker, the Director of Entrepreneurship Programs of the Sawyer Business School. Sponsors have also aided the cause. “We have a lot of sponsors involved, including Fox River, which is a socks manufacturing company,” said Fakhouri. “They have donated 100 pairs of free socks. The Center for Entrepreneurial Studies has agreed to pay for half of the promotional material. The other half of the promo tional material was covered by the printing company.”

Local merchants also support the S.O.C.S. for Vets bandwagon, placing signs and a donation can in their establishments. Café Quattro and the Red Hat have set ups already in place. On April 1, from 6 to 8 p.m. the Red Hat is even hosting an all-you-can-eat buffet with a $5 donation to the cause.

Most students in the entrepreneurial studies class have joined the cause. “There are 32 students that have joined my campaign from my entrepreneurship class. Thirty-two out of 40 students have agreed to jump on this. I have the Sawyer Ambassadors that are participating in this. I have those that are in clubs that require community service hours sign up for this,” said Fakhouri.

Sophomore Anderson Murphy, a Sawyer Business Ambassador, has already involved himself with S.O.C.S. for Vets, tabling on the first day of the campaign.

“I think it’s an excellent campaign. It’s local, the Center for Veterans is right here, right around our campus. It’s a great thing to get involved with,” said Murphy.  “It provides veterans with things they need the most, which is socks. It’s a great way for students to get involved as well.”

Not only will the students involved be tabling for the cause, but will also be given the opportunity to delve deeper into the core of the campaign. Students can work with the money handling and financial statements or developing new business involvement with S.O.C.S. for Vets.

With the donations rolling in, the group is making profit. But where is the profit going? “The original plan was the profits were to go to the Center of Entrepreneurial Studies to buy equipment for the physical space for the Entrepreneurial Center,” said Fakhouri.  “And what the Entrepreneurial Center has agreed to do is instead of taking that profit and using it themselves, they would also turn around and cut a check to the New England Center for Homeless Vets School. They are taking all the profit, turning around and giving it to them.”

S.O.C.S. for Vets will continue to table at both Donahue and Sawyer on most days from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.