First dorm crawl draws students from alcohol

Haven Orecchio
Journal Staff

Students spent last “Thirsty Thursday” at the first annual Suffolk University Campus Crawl where they danced, ate, and mingled while staying safe on campus.

“It’s great to have alcohol awareness on campus,” said sophomore Melanie Carbon. “Alcohol is not the answer to a good time. We can have fun with soda and avoid the beer belly.”

The party began in the 10 West residence hall where students wore funny hats, played root beer pong, and ate bratwurst and hot pretzels at “Mocktoberfest.” Tickets were provided at the door to raffle off prizes including Suffolk apparel, movie tickets, and visa gift cards. Students went as far as wearing lederhosen costumes to get into the spirit of the traditional autumn celebration.

Drunk Goggles were also available so everyone had an opportunity to experience the disorientation that comes with the consumption of alcohol.

“Those goggles were trippy,” said sophomore Ted Thomas. “They made it hard to walk straight.”

At Miller Hall, 6B Lounge host Jeremy Shepard held games of trivia. Students teamed up and had their knowledge of random trivial facts tested. Virgin beverages like “Somerset Spritzers” and “Not-so-hard Lemonade” were mixed and served to attendees from the alcohol-free “Mocktail” bar by the Miller Hall Residence Assistants.

“The drinks are really great,” said freshman Careese Peters. “You don’t even miss the alcohol.”

The hit of the night was “Club 150,” a DJed black light dance party at the 150 Tremont residence hall. Students danced the night away wearing free “Campus Crawl” t-shirts signed by their friends with highlighters so that they glowed in the room. Hung on all of the walls in the “club” were facts and reminders of the dangers of getting too drunk, as well as tips to consider while drinking. The basement was decorated to look like a real dance club and students partied until 11 p.m.

Glow sticks and cocktail glasses were provided for the fist-pumping crowd as they ordered mixed juice drinks served at the open-bar.

“It’s been an amazing night,” said sophomore and Vice President of the Commuter Student Association, Ray De Leon. “I’ve made friends while just playing around. A few other commuters made it out tonight, too.”

“It’s good to give Suffolk kids an alternative to go out and drink on a Thursday night,” added sophomore Emily Swartz, of the Theta Phi Alpha sorority.

The event and give-aways were sponsored by the Office of Health and Wellness, Residence Life and Summer Programs, Off-Campus Housing Office, Suffolk University Police Department, Student Leadership and Involvement, Office of Retention Services, and Theta Phi Alpha.

Students choosing to “crawl” from building to building on Suffolk’s dry campus met new people and voluntarily became involved in alcohol safety education without having it pushed at them.  The goal was to involve students in situations that alcohol would normally be served and to prove to them that it can be just as fun and much safer without it.