Lady Rams prepare for final game before winter break

The Suffolk University women’s basketball team believes that the sky is the limit for this season.

The Lady Rams have competed hard in the final games of 2013, before their long break for the winter to start back up again. The team had to take on Curry Colonels this past Monday for their final road game of 2013, but the outcome is not what they had hoped it to be.

Despite a first half that at least kept the Lady Rams close to the Colonels, they did not take the lead once in the second half of play. The final score had the Colonels on top 62-59, which handed the Lady Rams their second loss of the season.

Totaling 38 minutes leading scorer and team captain Iliana Quadri showed off in what was a solid effort and the most minutes she has played all year. She led the team in scoring with 16 points and a helpful six rebounds as a guard. It is great for the Lady Rams to see further improvement on her offense since she was already named 2012-2013 defensive player of the year for Suffolk.

“It’s definitely a tough loss and I think we all agree it’s a game we should have won,” said Quadri. “Were all hard on ourselves but it’s a good learning experience and shows us what we need to work on. Better to lose and learn now than in conference games.”

Photo courtesy of Suffolk Athletics

The Lady Rams will need to be ready for their conference opponents, but will have the winter break to rest before a schedule that presents five out of the first seven games in January against conference opponents.

Other team captain and senior Jennifer Ruys is looking good as always, she is leads her team in points per game on the season and continues to help push the Lady Rams to play their best.

“I think that we have had a really good start to our season,” said Ruys. “Everyone works hard and gives it their all everyday. We’ve had a couple of tough games but we’ve also had a lot of great team wins. We’re taking every game as learning experience and as an opportunity to grow into the best team we can be.”

The Lady Rams have one more game at home before the month-long winter break, they face Fitchburg State this Saturday.

“It is imperative we get a win on Saturday,” said Ruys. “It sets the tone going into break. I have a lot of confidence in my team that we will be 5-2 when we leave for holiday vacation.”

This game will be the last before exam week, which is only added weight on the players.

Holidays are a distracting time, a time for family and resting after a long semester of work for student athletes. According to Quadri, losing focus on the team and the season is not in the cards for the Lady Rams.

“I’m not really worried,” said Quadri. “Everyone on our team is passionate about this game and I know everyone is going to work hard during our break and come back strong and well rested.”