Marty Walsh plans to make Boston better for students

Editor’s note: City Councilor John Connolly did not respond to requests for a smiliar story.

College was far from ordinary for Martin J. Walsh, but that did not stop him from gaining an understanding of the young people who study in Boston.

The mayoral hopeful wants the vote of college students in the Nov. 5 election to replace long-time Mayor Thomas M. Menino.

“This mayor’s race is about the future of college students,” said Walsh in a telephone interview with The Suffolk Journal. “It’s important for students to get involved in the political process.

Walsh, a state Representative, attended Suffolk University for one semester after completing high school. He took a political course, and decided college was not right for him at that moment. It was not until about 20 years later that Walsh received a degree from Boston College.

“I generally liked the history classes,” said Walsh. “Philosophy as well.”

Taking night classes at BC in his early 40s was far from the average college experience in Boston.

“For me personally, I got more out of it,” he said. “I encourage people to go back to school.”

Marty Walsh supporters outside the Modern Theatre before the September debate
(Photo by Ally Thibault)

Although earning his degree at twice the age of the average college student was a positive experience for Walsh, he does think the typical college experience is important for young people.

Walsh believes the perception of college students he gained from taking classes with people half his age makes him a mayor well suited for Boston, a diverse city where college students can be spotted around every corner.

With plenty of issues on his agenda if he is elected mayor, Walsh, who is most known for his involvement with unions, said students should vote for him for “the same reasons non-students should.”

He thinks that his “record of accomplishments” will allow him to do just that. Walsh is asking Boston voters to trust in his 16 years of legislation and elect him to Menino’s spot in City Hall. He cites job creation and bringing more women and people of color into the work force as some of his most important accomplishments. Walsh said real life experience is what puts him ahead of opponent John Connolly.

Walsh hopes to create city-wide Wi-Fi. He wants to expand Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority service, and look to make the city more energy efficient, he said.

But for students especially, Walsh wants to create more jobs, and more homes in the city. He wants students from the 50 colleges and universities scattered throughout Boston to be able to stick around after graduating, with a job to put money into their pockets, and a home to raise a family in.

Another issue he feels students can identify with is night life.

“I’m going to look at how to make Boston a little more fun, a little livelier,” he said, “more of a 21st century city.” Something he personally would enjoy is more live music, he said.

Walsh also hopes to strengthen Boston schools and create more affordable housing.

Until Tuesday’s election, Walsh will continue to campaign through Boston’s neighborhoods, jumping from one side of the city to the next, trying to secure as many votes as possible, he said.

Students who want to reach out to Walsh can contact him through martywalsh.org or on Twitter at @Marty_Walsh.