Fall Fest ’12 is truly ‘Spectacular’

Flora Wilds  Journal Contributor

Suffolk’s Performing Arts Office produced their annual Fall Fest this past weekend. The free show, entitled “Sports Spectacular,” was held at the C. Walsh Theater. Acts included performances by student musical groups and soloists, as well as routines by Suffolk’s own step team and dance troupe. While the group acts were entertaining, it was the solo performances that better displayed Suffolk students’ diverse talent in the arts.  Three solo acts stood out to students and faculty in particular. Ajah Brown’s spoken-word piece was not only bold but also well-delivered. Brown captivated the audience with a collaboration of poetry and song, presenting a powerful piece about love.

Another solo act that brought roaring cheers from the crowd was Nick Aikens on the piano, singing an original song entitled “Stuck Inside My Head.” Aikens’ performance exhibited his skillful range as a singer as well a meaningful lyricist.  Aikens, a freshman at Suffolk, sung with confidence and passion. It’s safe to say he stole the show during the first act.

Following intermission, the final solo act impressed all. An Wang performed on a Guqin, an ancient Chinese weapon turned instrument.  Wang has been playing since she was only four years of age, and her talent was obvious in her beautiful and precise performance. Sandwiched in-between two numbers by the Ensemble, Wang’s piece was a unique and refreshing break from the Glee-like enthusiasts of the show choir.       Other notable acts included a lengthy, but fun, routine by the Fresh Beat Dance Crew, a high-energy display of talent from the Suffolk Step team, and the band Lost & Found performing their original song, “Average Joe.”  Overall, Fall Fest was an entertaining show, but the acts that deviated from the sports theme turned out to be the most spectacular.