Weekly Events 11/3-11/8

Monday 11/3

1 pm – 2:30 pm: Check-In Writing & Research Goals- This is a follow-up meeting for those who attended the Setting Goals workshop in September.  We will check in about our writing and research goals for the semester, evaluate our progress, and adjust goals as needed.  This is also an excellent opportunity to chat with your accountability partner face-to-face.  Those who did not attend the September meeting, but want to discuss their writing and research progress for the semester, are also welcome to attend! (Stahl Center, 73 Tremont)

7:30 pm – 9:30 pm: Musician Network Open Mic Night-  Come to the first Musicians Network Open Mic of the year! Hear the amazing Suffolk talent and enjoy delicious free food. Sign up to perform outside of the Performing Arts Office (Donahue Caf.).

Tuesday 11/4

10 am – 11:15 am: Film: The Vintage, by Chinese University of Hong Kong filmmaker Donna Chu- Chu is currently working in Amsterdam. The story is set in turbulent and anxious contemporary Hong Kong. A wine business is at stake, a university fraternity is falling apart; a father and son find themselves at odds when youth and maturity face off. The talk is co-sponsored by the CJN Film Series of the Department of Communication and Journalism and the Rosenberg Institute for East Asian Studies. Free and open to the Public. (Stahl Center, 73 Tremont)

1 pm – 2 pm: Ray Rice and Domestic Violence Discussion- Black student union will be getting together to discuss the domestic violence within the celebrity community (Donahue 311)

8:30 pm: Students vs. Faculty Trivia!- Sure, your professors know your textbooks front to back, but are they up to date on the latest music and movies trivia? Show them who’s boss, even if it’s just for the night. The first 50 students to show up get a free meal! Free dinner and a chance to brag after you win trivia over your professors? WHY NOT? Meet us at The Kinsale at 2 Center Plaza for fun, food and friends!

Wednesday 11/5

4 pm – 5:30 pm: Inside Leadership Series: Bill Boyce- Bill Boyce grew up in Somerville and became the founder of Highland Capital, a top tier venture capital firm.  At one point he took a major break from his career to raise his children.  Eventually returning to become an investor in software. Hear his story at the upcoming Inside Leadership Series. The series introduces this generation’s “self-made leaders” to the next by featuring successful business leaders who have used education, innovation, and collaboration to succeed in life. Leaders are interviewed by Larry Stybel, Executive in Residence at the Sawyer Business School before a student audience. (Stahl Center, 73 Tremont)

Thursday 11/6

10 am – 11:15 am: Part 2: The Vintage- Part two of the film The Vintage. Special Skype discussion with director Donna Chu, Moderated by Professor Micky Lee. Comments by Professor Micky Lee. (Stahl Center, 73)

1 pm – 2 pm: A Conversation: Cryptogram Exhibit- A conversation about collaboration and the synergy of science and art, with artists Brian Knep and Natalie Andrew and Martha Richmond, Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Suffolk University. Pizza will be served. (NESAD Gallery)

1 pm – 2 pm: Study Abroad Information Session (Stahl Center, 73)

6 pm – 8 pm: Margot Livesey Fiction Reading- Writer Margot Livesey will share her works of fiction. Livesey has published seven novels: HomeworkCriminalsThe Missing WorldEva Moves the FurnitureBanishing VeronaThe House on Fortune Street, and The Flight of Gemma Hardy. She is also currently a distinguished writer in residence at Emerson College. (Stahl Center, 73 Tremont)

6:30 pm – 8 pm: Ford Hall Forum: Free to Hate- The question of whether hate speech is protected by the First Amendment is not a new one but is rapidly demanding an answer in the internet age of vicious commenting. Some believe that objectively defining hate speech is nigh on impossible and argue that the answer to its propagation is to not censor but bolster the First Amendment all the more. Others defend dignity and respect as basic human rights that can only be upheld in curbing hate speech. Join us to determine whether the United States should adopt laws like its European counterparts that don’t allow hate speech to be considered free speech. (C Walsh Theatre)

10 pm – 11 pm: Seriously Bent dorm show (150 Tremont, basement)

Friday 11/7

1 pm – 2 pm: Day of the Dead Celebration: The WLCS department and the Spanish Club invite all to this celebration of Dia de los Muertos.(Donahue, 4th floor lounge)

5:30 pm – 10 pm: Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Video Gamers army FIFA tournament- Video game soccer tournament with prizes! (Donahue 403)

Have a great week everyone!