Lady Rams look to end season on high note

Article By: Andrew Macdougall

While it has been a week of highs and lows for fans of the Suffolk University women’s soccer squad, there has never been a dull moment.

After a hard-fought tie against GNAC rival Rivier College, the team entered what would be a historic match against Massachusetts Maritime Academy last Wednesday winless in their last eight games (0-6-2).

However, the winless streak would go no further, as the Lady Rams won their match against Mass. Maritime by a score of 9-0, led by a monstrous performance by sophomore standout Leslie Hayden. Hayden scored a career-best six goals in the rout of the Buccaneers, and in doing so, according to the Athletics Department website, became just the 21st player in Division III women’s soccer history to score six or more goals in a single game.

With the six tallies on Wednesday, Hayden increased her goal total on the season to 17, which leads the team.

It also matches her total of 17 goals from her freshman campaign, in which she won the GNAC Rookie of the Year Award. In the Mass. Maritime game, she led the way with a remarkable total of 15 shots on net, and helped the Lady Rams to a much-needed win.

Freshman Kelsey Cavaretta and junior Marie Andre Trombetta also contributed on the offensive end, as Cavaretta scored her second goal of the season at the 27-minute mark, and Trombetta scored her second at the 56-minute mark. The eighth goal of the game was scored on an own-goal, charged against the Buccaneers. The final score came 40 seconds later by Hayden on an unassisted goal, her third unassisted goal of the game.

The Lady Rams also got a stingy performance on the defensive end, as junior Emily Joyce continued her dominance in net, racking up her third consecutive shutout in the win.

The win was the largest victory the squad has ever had against any opponent. The nine goals scored were also the most scored in the history of the women’s soccer program, which became a varsity sport just three years ago.

The joyous occasion would be short-lived, however, as the team took a beating against cross-Common rival Emerson College. The Lady Rams lost by a score of 9-1 on Saturday against the Lions, unable to carry over the momentum from their huge win over Mass. Maritime. With only three shots on goal in the entire game, the Lady Rams had a tough time getting the ball rolling against a suffocating Emerson defense. Sophomore Gina Dean scored the team’s only goal, her third tally of the season.

The Lady Rams finish off the season with two straight home matches against GNAC opponents. The team will play Albertus Magnus on Oct. 24 at 1:30 p.m., and will close out the 2009 campaign against Pine Manor at 4 p.m. on Oct. 27. Currently winless in the GNAC on the season (0-7-2), the Lady Rams are looking to turn their luck around and finish the season on a positive note.

In honor of Hayden’s high-scoring feat, here is a women’s college soccer fact: the record for most goals scored in one game in D-III history is held by Beth Byrne, who tallied ten goals for Franklin & Marshall College on Oct. 29, 1988.

Editor’s note: the Lady Rams played last night at St. Joseph’s of Maine, but the match ended too late to make this edition.