Marketing minor complements CAS

A new option to minor in marketing has been designed uniquely for College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) students, allowing them to skip the management requirement and instead take the core Principles of Marketing course. The structure involves that core principles class in addition to three marketing electives.

The marketing minor has always existed, but has been underestimated by CAS students due to the Sawyer Business School (SBS) three-credit courses (compared to  four-credit courses). However, it is now a reasonable path.

“In the past, it has been challenging for CAS students because of scheduling with the credit difference,” said Catherine McCabe, chair of the marketing department. “Also, in order to be a business minor, CAS students had to take a management course.”

“This was put together to help students for their careers and futures,” said McCabe. “The minor is a complement to many CAS students because their careers will have to do with marketing.”

Another new development for the minor is the grouping of elective courses into four concentrations: sports marketing, marketing innovation and new media, brand marketing, and marketing consulting. The concentrations, new to both the marketing major and minor, allow students to choose their electives in a way that meets their interests.

The sports marketing path includes the business of sports and the media, the business of sports, sports marketing consulting, and a general sports marketing course.

Marketing innovation and new media offers new product development, the business of social media, high tech marketing, and e-marketing.

Integrated marketing communications, services marketing, brand marketing, and the business of social media make up the brand marketing concentration.

The marketing consulting concentration focuses on sports, global (Shanghai) and honors marketing.

McCabe said the concentrations reflect what’s currently happening in the business world. “There are a lot of ways for students to choose courses with their interests. In the next few years, we will add more, different types of electives,” she said.

However, a concentration does not need to be chosen; any three electives will meet the qualification.

According to McCabe, the department hopes to see more new students declaring the marketing minor. “As we communicate and connect with CAS and design students, we will learn more,” she said. “It all makes a good diversity in the classroom discussions. Especially with the NESAD students; there is a great need for students with those skills.”

Students have landed marketing internships with places like Hill Holiday, HubSpot and the Boston Celtics. In addition, internships and projects are opportunities available through the department.

The Professional Marketing Association (PMA) is also open to CAS students with marketing minors. The student organization brings marketing professionals and speakers to the university for resume help, workshops and career advice. Informative events and networking opportunities allow interaction between marketing students, faculty and professionals.

“The better we connect to our business community, the better for our students,” said McCabe. “It complements the experience.”