QSU gets colorful with Bob Ross

Leo Woods
Students paint along with Bob Ross at Bob & Boba hosted by QSU.

Suffolk University’s Queer Student Union held its “Bob and Boba” event March 28, where students could release their inner artist following a Bob Ross tutorial with a refreshing drink in hand.

Attendees sipped on tea from local Boston business, TeaDo, while getting creative on their canvases in the lobby of the Sawyer building. Some stuck to the video, while others made their own masterpieces. The event was fun and relaxing for all, especially during this stressful part of the semester.

Mason Newbury, a senior who currently serves as the organization’s vice president, said the event was a great success. 

“I think it ended up going well despite the rocky beginning,” Newbury said, referring to technical difficulties at the start that were quickly resolved. “I think most of our events end up going well.”

Newbury said the idea was a collaboration between members of the executive board with the goal of including both refreshments and a creative element.

At the start of the event, QSU announced its executive board for the next year. Ares Centeno will be the organization’s next president, Milo Karachi will serve as the next vice president, Alec Barton will be the next treasurer and Mick Tierney will serve as secretary.

Centeno spoke about their plans for the upcoming year, describing their goal of increasing events and more partnerships with organizations both at Suffolk and around the city.

“I’m looking at bigger events and more events involving QSU, a lot of collaborations and fundraisers. We’re thinking [of] a few for the club and for any queer organizations around Boston, we’re going to see who we can partner with,” Centeno said.

Centeno described their goal of expanding the club and ensuring a welcoming space for all. From Bob Ross to its annual drag show, QSU encourages all students to participate and have fun.

“I want [QSU] to be a statement and an area that you can come and feel safe, and not just for Queer students but for any students,” Centeno said.

Karachi echoed Centeno’s sentiments, adding that a goal of the incoming E-board is to expand access and knowledge of QSU to all members of the Suffolk community.

“I’m excited to grow and expand the club and have new members because a lot of people don’t know about this club,” Karachi said.

Karachi emphasized “Bob and Boba” was a great opportunity to connect with others while enjoying all the event had to offer.

“It’s really fun and it’s nice to bond with people,” Karachi said

Newbury said he was hopeful for the club going into next year.

“I think we need to get more people in the club, we need to enter a new era of QSU. It’ll be good to be fresh,” Newbury said.

QSU will be hosting more events as the semester wraps up. Karachi is particularly looking forward to Queer Prom, which will take place April 29 from 7:30-10:30 p.m. This year’s theme is leather and lace, according to QSU’s Instagram. 

Tickets will go on sale for Queer Prom April 7. Check out QSU’s Instagram, @suffolkQSU, for more information. The event promises to be exciting for all attendees.

Follow William and Leo on Twitter @WoodringWill & @leowoods108