Rams from abroad seek opportunity on campus

Julia Fusco
Suffolk’s International Student Association aims to create community for students across all cultures.

While finding a sense of community in Boston can be especially daunting for international students who are starting their college careers, Suffolk University freshman Ekaterina Burilkina, originally from Moscow, Russia, is enjoying her first year so far. 

“I love the city here, this school is a very welcoming environment and does a great job being inclusive to the many students that attend here,” Burilkina said. 

About 14% of all Suffolk University students are from other parts of the world, according to the university’s website, which was last updated with this data in the fall of 2020.  

Ekaterina, who often goes by Kate because she finds it easier for most to say, said she hopes to see Suffolk create more opportunities for students like her.

“It is amazing how many events are held here at Suffolk, especially in the middle of the city, but I wish they had more opportunities to meet other students. I seek more inclusive events that are meant for this,” Burilkina said. 

A list of Suffolk events, organizations and clubs for students to join can be found on the student involvement page of the university’s website. There are also many seminars with public speakers, training workshops and more held on campus throughout the year. 

Sophomore Maria Denardin has found Suffolk to be a great experience so far. Denardin is originally from São Paulo, Brazil.

“Being away from my family is still hard even after being in the United States for a few years, but I overcome this feeling by going out with my friends and talking to my academic advisor,” Denardin said.  

Academic advisors at Suffolk’s Academic Advising Center, located on the 9th floor of 73 Tremont Street, work with students to make their college experience easier and more comfortable by balancing students’ personal interests with their academic career, according to the Center’s website

“I think the school could do an international fair. They could invite students that normally reside in other countries and have all different foods to help introduce everyone’s culture to the local students,” Denardin said. 

Suffolk holds many different students coming from different cultures, backgrounds and perspectives around the world. One of Suffolk’s many valued resources is the INTO Suffolk University Center, which is made for support for international students. They are located in the main library and have different resources for students. One can come to the center for tutoring services or to meet other international students in similar situations as others.