Women’s tennis team bows out of GNAC tournament

Mike Giannattasio
Journal Staff

After defeating Mount Ida, 9-0, in the playoff opener last Wednesday, the Suffolk University women’s tennis team advanced to the semi-finals this past Saturday, but quickly ran out of luck.

The Emerson Lions made quick work of the Rams, taking all three doubles matches in the club’s 6-1 victory. They also took wins in the first and second slots for singles matches, and the only point for Suffolk came by freshman Jane Skorobogatova.

With the loss, Suffolk was eliminated from the Great Northeast Athletic Conference, after having a tremendous season in which they finished 9-4 overall.

Before playing Emerson, Suffolk dominated Mount Ida in their first playoff match.

Skorobogatova was the top winner on the night as she triumphed in her top singles match 6-1, 6-0.

Skorobogatova and junior Kelly Conrad combined in the second doubles match for an 8-0 win. Conrad also won her second single match, 6-2, 6-0.

Senior Alex Hernandez-Vallant and junior Lauren Cameron were victorious in their opening doubles match as they easily won, 8-1.

Freshman Georgia Ward and Julianna Riconda united for success in the third doubles match as they prevailed, 8-2.

Junior Rebecca Copeland was a 6-1, 6-0 champion in the third singles spot. Freshmen Lizzy Arkins, Stacey Politis and Melissa Chermley were victors for Suffolk in singles play as well in the four through six positions.

The Suffolk University Athletic Department announced over the weekend that Skorobogatova was named a second team All-Conference selection by the GNAC for the 2010 season. Skorobogatova finished the fall with a perfect 10-0 record in singles play, and was a consistent force the team all season long.

Skorobogatova also was 5-0 out of the No. 3 position and was 4-0 as the No. 1 player.

Ward also earned a GNAC accolade as she was named to the All-Sportsmanship team. She finished the year winning four games in single plays and also partnered in four more doubles victories for Suffolk this year.

Suffolk, who finished the season with an impressive 8-2 record at home and 1-2 on the road, were coached this year by Steve Counihan and Isaac Stahl.

Freshman Jane Skorobogatova was recently a 2nd team all-conference selection. Freshman Georgie Ward also received recognition, having been named to the GNAC all-sportsmanship team.