Cultures showcased at the frist annual food fest

Ashley Tarchara

The first annual Food Fest , sponsored by the Suffolk University Hispanic Association, was celebrated Thursday  in collaboration with the Black Student Union, Commuter Student Association, Caribbean Student Network, African American Association, and the Cape Verdean Student Association.

The event was filled with vibrant cuisine, music and conversation.  For the occasion, the Donahue cafe was transformed into a new atmosphere from the likes of Spain, Dominican Republic, and the Caribbean, to name a few.

Josiana De Carvoho, treasurer of the Hispanic Association, said the diversity groups wanted to work together more this year. She believed this event “was a start” in getting that goal accomplished.

Ricabhene Lima, a junior and communications coordinator for the Black Student Union, wished for students to have “a taste of the different clubs at Suffolk” and inspire others to join one. Lima said he believed the event was important in educating people about the different cuisines, as many share similar recipes.

Tables were filled with empanadas, yuca, collard greens, flan, and alike. Posters were also taped behind each table with descriptions of the cultures and different foods being served.

Freshman Ashley Ford said she particularly enjoyed the Spanish food being served and was “very surprised by the turnout” of the event.

Junior Ameris Davis was drawn to Food Fest because of the free food. She most related to the food presented by the Black Student union, as it was the closest to her culture.

“It’s great to see Suffolk showcasing different cultures and seeing everyone interact with one another since Suffolk is such a diverse school,” Junior Ruthshel Telus

Amanda Tarchara, a junior at Suffolk, comes from a Cuban background and enjoyed “seeing others try a taste” of her culture. Tarchara also said she “especially enjoyed the evening,” as it was great to “go back to her roots and have some food of her culture”. She said everything reminded her of home.

Lima said the Food Fest could be attributed to Suffolk students who really “care about the events at Suffolk”.

According to Lima, the event brought people to engage in dialogue, make new friends and bridge the gap we all share in order to be a true melting pot.