Student safety abroad should raise concerns

Patrick Holmes/Opinion Editor

It’s time to start rethinking how we view Europe as a trendy travel destination. Due to the many terrorist attacks and acts of terror, it’s imperative to be wary when planning vacations, especially for students studying abroad.

On Sunday, four Boston College students were subject to hydrochloric acid being sprayed in their faces at a train station in France., according to BBC. Although not categorized as a terrorist act, it was committed by a local woman with the intent to harm others. Due to the victims status as students at another Boston school, this hits close to home and allows the mind to wander about how this could happen to anyone, any student studying abroad from any university.

The United States’ Department of State has issued a travel alert that will be in effect until Nov. 30.

From the multiple attacks in London to the most recent in France, it is obvious that travellers should be more alert in foreign continents.

Many students studying abroad travel on the weekends to multiple destinations across Europe, leaving them vulnerable to random terror attacks, which can happen in known tourist destinations, major transportation hubs and shopping malls.

Suffolk University prides itself on having a second campus in Madrid.

Can Suffolk do more to ensure their safety, even off campus?

It is easy to be distracted by the cultural differences and the curiosity that accompanies travelling abroad, but this is no excuse to let one’s guard down when someone is in an unfamiliar place, especially a different country. More often than not, people who appear to be tourists are targeted.

Suffolk has policies in place to keep its Madrid Campus students safe, but that can only go so far if students decide to travel often across Europe.

These policies can protect students in Madrid, leaving the students to their own discretion on how to protect themselves in other cities and countries.

It’s imperative that our university continues to keep its students safe and also teaches them to cautiously travel abroad. Moreover, it’s important that students take into consideration their mortality when experiencing these other cultures they so desperately want to be a part of.

The effected Boston College students were at a train station when a random act of terror reared its evil head in their direction, meaning that at any moment, acts such as these can happen to anyone.

Now more than ever, it is mandatory to be aware of one’s surroundings.

There are limited resources to control these terror attacks, so one needs to be attentive and alert.

London has been subject to too many terror attacks in the last few months, and is a popular destination for students to go abroad and study.

Students should pick and choose where they should travel to based on the safeness of the destination.

Can cities across Europe create safer environments to prevent these kinds of attacks? Many areas in London have begun putting up cement barricades but those can only do so much. It seems that there is no right way to stop or end these acts, laeving the public to take action to protect themselves.

Unfortunately, it seems that Europe is becoming increasingly unsafe and no matter how hard they try to prevent these attacks, there is only so much they can do. It is now up to the general public to take care of themselves more and to attempt to stop these attacks.

So, for students at all universities, it is wise to think twice before one chooses study abroad.

View Comments (3)