US election to resolve or heighten global tension

Colin Barry

With the daunting  presidential election coming up just months away, the rest of the world is watching as they outline their tensions with the United States. The world will face the impact of the new president when voters decide who will be the next commander-in-chief.

Suffolk organizations such as the Students for Justice in Palestine are concerned how the President-elect will be handling the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“What the American people and Palestinians alike need is neither a candidate who makes statements in their own interests, nor one with a magical solution,” said the public relations manager for the organization, Yazeed Abu-Ghazaleh. “We need a realistic, objective, impartial decision-maker who will do what’s best for the American people, while adhering to international law.”

“Let us choose wisely and speak honestly when it comes to these controversial issues,” adds Abu-Ghazaleh. “Whether we choose to admit it or not, we are all directly affected.”

Suffolk Hillel, who are associated with the Boston-campus Interfaith Center, also have concerns with a new president that will help ease tensions.

“The Hillel Group does not endorse any candidate,” said Hillel Group director Miriam Blue. “However, everyone regardless of the political spectrum is looking for a peaceful end to this conflict. It is one component that is important to Jewish culture.”

Blue added, “There is no particular point of view, as every candidate is different.”

Suffolk government professor John Berg said the election will influence how other countries will see America.

“It makes other countries trust us. They see these wild speeches from the candidates and it may cause them to think twice,” said Berg, reiterating that despite the result of the election it will affect the whole world.

The new president will also be facing ISIS, the Iranian nuclear deal, and North Korea’s proposed hydrogen bomb.

“In regards to President Obama supporting the nuclear deal in Iran, a lot of Republicans are saying they are going to reverse it,” said Berg. “But I don’t think we are going to get any huge changes. Most things will stick.”

Suffolk College Democrats President Kalene Hess said both candidates in the Democratic party have different views on the major threats to the U.S.

“Clinton and Sanders disagree on who is the ‘greatest threat’ to America,” said Hess. “Sanders classifies North Korea as the greatest threat because they live in an isolated country that is infamous for threats against the United States using nuclear weapons.”

Professor Berg acknowledged the other international issues that the President-elect will face.

“No one has talked about the Zika virus,” he said. “There has also been a lot of debate about trade and a lot of debate about immigration.”

The two Democratic nominees, former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, agree on peaceful solutions across the globe. In regards to Iran’s nuclear deal, Clinton supports improving relations with Iran.

“I would not support this agreement for one second if I thought it put Israel in greater danger,” said Clinton, as reported by ABC News.

Senator Sanders was to be in favor of the deal, seeing is as a way to improve relations with a former country that the U.S. has conflicts with, according to CNN.

“It is my firm belief that the test of a great nation with the most powerful military on earth is not how many wars it can engage in,” Sanders told CNN. “But how it can use our strength and our capabilities to resolve international conflicts in a peaceful way.”

As reported by the Boston Globe, Senator Sanders has a long-standing history with protesting war, starting back in the 1960s.

“One great quote from Sanders in regards to foreign policy is ‘We cannot be the policeman of the world,’” Hess said, who supports Senator Sanders’ position.

Both Sanders and Clinton were reported by The New York Times as being in favor of letting Syrian refugees into the U.S.

The Democratic Party nomination is still neck-in-neck between Clinton and Senator Sanders.

“It does not matter who is pulling ahead, Clinton or Sanders,” Hess said. “It is impressive that both candidates are surging in the primaries.”

On the right side of the political spectrum, the Republican candidates are looking to strengthen the American military across the globe, but also focus on domestic issues.

Senator Ted Cruz is looking to have more restrictive immigration rules. Senator Cruz was quoted by the Atlantic, in regards to any Middle Eastern immigrants that, “Fighting for or supporting ISIS [is] an affirmative renunciation of American citizenship.”

Donald Trump looks to enhance what possible relations the U.S. can have with Russia.

“Wouldn’t it be nice if like Russia and us could knock out an enemy together,” Trump asked CNN. “Russia has plenty of problems, but I’ll tell you what, if Putin likes me, and he thinks I’m a good, smart person, which, I mean, I hope he believes it.”

This followed Russian President Vladimir Putin’s interview with CNN, where he called Trump, “brilliant.”

The Suffolk Republican group on campus did not respond for an interview.