Problem with air unit and suspicious smell prompt evacuation of Donahue


Haley Peabody/Journal Staff

Students and faculty were evacuated from the Donahue building early Wednesday afternoon because of an issue with an air handling unit and a “suspicious” electric smell on the second floor, officials said.

There was never an active fire in the building, according to Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald. Students and faculty were allowed to return to classrooms before 1 p.m.

When fire trucks initially arrived at Temple Street, a Suffolk University Police Department officer told a Journal reporter that “the smell of gas” set off a fire alarm in the building.

SUPD notified students via text and email to avoid the area during the incident.

At one point during the incident, a helicopter hovered over the building.