What would my online dating profile say if I were honest?

Online dating is common for people trying to find love. The old idea of going out and accidentally meeting the love of your life while buying milk at the supermarket has changed with the rise of using texting and dating sites like OkCupid, Grindr, Tinder. This is tricky, because we all lie about ourselves, and I believe everyone lies on their dating site profile.

Long before going on a first date, there is the process of selection we humans do by scanning the pictures the other person shows on his or her online profiles. If they pass that test, and I like their pictures, I will read the information they provided about themselves.

Society puts pressure on singles, telling us that we should be perfect, and because of this and the million of social norms that act on the dating game, we lie.

Because of this realization I decided to rewrite all my OkCupid questions — in the sincerest way possible.Ā 

***

My self-summary:

Here I will tell you I am the best person you will ever find on this website. My name is Jonathan, but because I am Latino, my real name is way longer than that. I wonā€™t tell you that here because that will be a joke I will use on our first date.

I am 20 years old, but I look as if I am 22 depending on how long my beard is. If you are older than 21 and donā€™t want to date me because I wonā€™t be able to get drink with you, itā€™s fine — I have my ways. There are a lot of things people put here like hobbies, but instead I will give you a quote that I just Googled to look more interesting.

I want you to understand that I am interested in going out on a date with you, but that I might be very analytical about everything you say and very sarcastic and cruel in the way I think and talk.

What Iā€™m doing with my life:

Honestly, what I am doing right now is trying to figure out what I really like. It might sound unreliable, but itā€™s who I am now. I donā€™t know if I like being in college, or whether I want to keep working, and I have many doubts about what I am really doing with my life now.

I know I might be just one more of those college students who thinks they will change the world. But I do know that all I need to do to change my world is to be honest with myself.

What I do doesnā€™t really matter that much at this point in our relationship, but just so you know, I am not wasting my time.

Iā€™m really good at:

I am really good at thinking about what I should put on my ā€œI am really good at …ā€ question. I am also really good at lying, eating, oversleeping, ignoring texts from people I donā€™t want to talk to, photography, styling myself, judging, and more.

There are many other things that I am good at, but you need to know that there are also things I am very bad at, like trying not to cry when I get emotional, skiing, soccer, and many other things, too.

The first thing people usually notice about me:

I smile and talk a lot, especially on the first date. I will be very careful to laugh at all your jokes, even if they are not funny.

But I want you to tell me what you notice about me — not only today when you read my profile, but in the future, too.

Favorite books,Ā movies, shows, music and food:

Here, I could go on and on about a perfect mix of all this media that I Googled to show how smart I am. But I wonā€™t, because all you need to know is I enjoying reading, eating, and sometimes doing both at the same time.

And BeyoncƩ is my life.

On a typical Friday night I am:

It all depends. If I am in the mood, I will go to the closest gay club to find someone to grind on and maybe kiss that night. If I am bored, I will call some of my friends and plan to hang out with them. If I am feeling artistic I will just sit down, drink wine, and write.

But what you need to know is that every moment of my life is defined by how I am feeling then and there — not only my Fridays.

***

Since I am being honest here, I have this naĆÆve hope that maybe Iā€™ll get lucky and meet someone who wonā€™t be a total waste of time; Someone who will turn out to be a person I can really see myself with. I think deep down most of us have that hope. Itā€™s just that most of us are too ashamed to admit it — on the Internet at least.

Considering that these websites do work for some people, why are we so afraid of showing who we really are and what we really think? I donā€™t think online dating is a waste of time if itā€™s done properly — with a lot of guts and honesty.

I dream of finding someone who tries to be 100 percent real. I dream of the day I go on a date and find out that the person I’m seeing is exactly who they described on their profile.

But, I am a dreamer.