Caribbean Student Network hosts 25th annual fashion show: Coming to America

By: Maria Baluch

The 25th annual fashion show by Suffolk University’s very own Caribbean Student Network took place March 22 at C. Walsh Theatre. It was a two-and-a-half-hour show from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

The show featured designs by House of Nahdra, Mone’t, Deviant ReBeL, Upendo Bowties, Fly Girl Couture, Africa Underived, Touch the Sky and performances by the Caribbean Dance Troupe, Jacie, Lost and Found, and Latrell James.

The audience was engaged to the show the entire time thanks to host Christine Umeh garnered laughs at every chance she got with her upbeat quirkiness.

Deviant ReBeL Clothing started off the show with models strutting down the aisles next to the audience in their risqué ensemble. Designer RoBerta E. Baker-Lundy believes in dressing outside of the box and unleashing your inner “ReBeL.”

Designer Mone’t featured crop tops and pencil skirts in fun colors like hot pink and patterns such as black and white stripes. And for the sporty girls, there was even an outfit designed like a baseball uniform. A black and white pinstripe pencil skirt was paired with a crop top made to look like a baseball jersey with red sleeves and an attached hoodie for the ultimate sporty chic look.

The designs were then put on hold for a performance by the Caribbean Dance Troupe. The ladies swayed their hips to the beat of reggae, and the audience could not help but to cheer on as the beat picked up.

Designs from House of Nahdra were shown after. It featured traditional Ethiopian wear with baggy pants covered in abstract patterns in bright shades of orange. The frilly cutouts of the tops and dresses resembled Free People designs. The very last model strutted on the stage with a form-fitting sleeveless and backless silver metallic maxi dress with an attached hoodie, a design that stood out from the rest.

Singer Jacie Calixte, a student at Suffolk, put on a performance and while singing to her latest single, the designs of Upendo Bowties, an African bowtie brand, were shown with male models dressed in formal wear of black tuxedo pants and dress shirts. The square bowties made of African wax print fabric gave their classy outfits a touch of edge.

While the sophisticated males showed off their attire, the ladies followed soon with tutus from designer Fly Girl Couture. The short and full-length tutus brightened up the stage in shades of tiffany blue, yellow, and pink paired with hoodies and cut out denim jacket.

Umeh then came on stage to ask for volunteers from the audience for a walk off competition. While three ladies made their way to Umeh, there was sudden cheering when everyone noticed a little boy wearing a tiger print orange hat coming up the side of the stairs. As he stood very seriously, Umeh bent down to ask him if he could tell everyone something about himself. Answering very quietly, he said, “I break dance, rap, and beat box.” The audience went wild and needless to say, he was the winner of the competition as he strutted on the stage with his hands in his pockets and claimed his $25 Visa gift card and Caribbean Student Network t-shirt.

Afterwards, Touch the Sky clothing presented their alternative fashions of graphic pullovers and tees, designs that appeal to “the hardworking, deal making, self-made individuals that want to take it to the top.”

Latrell James and the band Lost and Found gave the last performance. James asked the audience to chant along to his rap and so they did. Every time James said “do it” during his chorus, the same was shouted from the audience when he pointed his microphone towards the crowd.

The show ended with carnival costumes by Basic Classics Inc. that got everyone’s attention. The models danced on  stage wearing shimmering gold and leopard print one-piece swimsuits accessorized with beads on the cut outs and big colorful feather headpieces. It is safe to say it was pretty hard to stay seated as the models danced down the aisles to the sounds of Caribbean.

The CSN unites the Caribbean population at Suffolk and is open to students and individuals of all races. It stands by its saying “divided by water, united by culture” as it united everyone together to the Caribbean culture on an unforgettable night.