Suffolk sophomore walked across pageant stage with a smile

Suffolk sophomore Katelyn Peters made 17 friendships Sunday night during fierce competition for the title of Miss Boston and Cambridge.

The 20-year-old psychology major strode across the stage in a sparkling, red dress, cheered on by friends and family, she recalled during a telephone interview.

“I had so much fun even though it didn’t turn out the way I wanted,” Peters said. Although Peters did not place during the pageant held at the Omni Parker House, she had the time of her life, she said.

The evening began with the 18 women vying for the title entering the stage in white and black cocktail dresses. Next, they moved on to one of the two segments Peters was most nervous about, the question and answer portion of the competition.

Peters is involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, and was asked about what an ideal role model should be, she said.

While on stage, Peters was able to put her fears aside, and said that a role model should offer advice he or she truly lives by, she recalled.

After the question and answer segment, the competitive beauties moved on to the swimsuit part of the pageant, and then, to the talent portion. This was the second segment Peters was worried about.

“I was a little nervous,” said Peters, who performed a dance number. “But, I practiced in front of the girls. My friends and family were so loud it pumped me up.”

Peters said she forgot a small part of her dance, but quickly corrected her error, and pulled off the routine.

(Photo courtesy of Rachel Messina)

Her favorite part of the pageant was sharing stories and getting close with the other girls, she said.

“We bonded because we woke up so early the day before and the day of the pageant,” said Peters.

Going into Miss Boston and Cambridge, Peters said she was not sure if she would compete in another pageant again. Now, she has every plan to do so.