bsu concludes month with luncheon

Recognizing the approaching end to Black History Month, the Black Student Union hosted their annual Soul Food Luncheon Tuesday, inviting not only their members, but welcoming all of the Suffolk community to celebrate. Mashed potatoes, cornbread, and ribs were a few of mouth-watering entrée items available to attendees.

“I looked at Black History Month from a historic perspective, it is a great time to reflect and recognize the history,” says senior Mason Marino. “It should be celebrated beyond the month of February.”

The aroma from the food being served in the fourth floor conference room was an easy attraction to students who happened to be passing by, unaware of the luncheon. Students were visibly relaxed, as they gathered with their friends to enjoy a free lunch that is a bit different from the usual.

“Those are some solid ribs,” said graduate student Eva Woodward. “I’m from Oklahoma, and we have some really good ribs, I was surprised at how good they were at the luncheon, I’m happy about that.”

The luncheon brought an end to the series of events that the Black Student union hosted in order to celebrate Black History Month.

“It is all about just learning about the culture, I attended a lot of the Black Student Union events this month, it is all about just learning,” said junior Alexandra Soto “Michael Curry, the speaker at the opening ceremony was really interactive and informative.”

Events prior to the luncheon included a lecture by speaker Michael Curry of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People on leadership, and his involvement in the local Boston community. On Feb. 7, the Black Student Union hosted their annual Heritage Trail event, escorting students on an exploration of the historic sites around the city of Boston. Most recently the Black Student Union invited Suffolk members to a film screening of Power Mixtapes and to a student discussion ‘Booty Calls and Hookups.’

“I’m African, so for me black history month is a time we can remember and recognize people in history,” said sophomore Rebecca Ndawana. “I attended the ‘Booty Calls & Hook Ups’ event. The discussion wasn’t like a lecture telling us not to do certain things, it was more like talking to your friends.”

February is recognized as black history month in effort to unite different members of the community with the common ground of recognizing the efforts put forth years ago in history. The events hosted by the Black Student Union have been intended to spread recognition and support to the historic month that has earned a place on the calendar.

“A special part of Black History Month is coming together that happens, a celebration almost,” says Woodward. “The most unique thing is many people come together and are able to feel the support and the energy.”

The Soul Food Luncheon highlighted the concept of unity, diversity and sharing the recognition with fellow Suffolk students who may have not recognized the importance behind Black History Month and all it represents before attending the event.

p> l� caП5(5mal style=’line-height:200%’>The Modern Theatre will be host to the opening of “Deported / a dream play,” produced by Boston Playwrights’ Theatre in association with Suffolk.  The professional production will be running at the Modern until April 1.

A full list of all the events, times, and locations can be found on Suffolk University Unity Week’s official Facebook page events tab (http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuffolkUniversityUnityWeek/251805371564071?sk=events).