S.O.U.L.S. fights hunger

Article By: Angela Bray

Worldwide, over 800 million people suffer from hunger, which is why S.O.U.L.S. has a calendar of events and activates planned for November, Hunger and Homelessness Awareness month. Throughout the entire month everyone is encouraged to donate unused clothing and non-perishable food to local food pantries and homeless shelters.

“The drive is the running event of the month,” said Community Service Scholar Nicholas McKenna. “It is a chance for everyone to give back to the community in a smaller way by donating to adults and children.”

In addition, the Dorm Storm will take place Nov. 4, 10, and 18. S.O.U.L.S. volunteers will collect unwanted clothing and non-perishable food by going door-to-door in each of Suffolk’s three dormitories.

Not many are aware that 7.3 percent of U.S. households are at risk of hunger. All food donations will go to Oasis Coalition and the Paulist Center. Oasis Coalition seeks to support, empower, and give voice to Boston’s poor and homeless. They are currently working with Suffolk University, Spare Change News, and St. Paul’s Church to address the challenges faced by those living on the margins. The Paulist Center community “aspires to express the good news of Jesus in contemporary society and builds a loving, caring, and compassionate community that welcomes all.”

Approximately 1.35 million children in the United States are homeless and don’t have the opportunity to buy clothing. Clothing donations will go to On the Rise, Horizon for Homeless Children, and the New England Shelter for Homeless Veterans.

Volunteering for the SOULS Supper Club involves assisting with preparing and serving meals to those in need. The Supper Club will be held every Monday night of the month at the Oasis Coalition food pantry, Tuesday nights at the Advent Church, and Wednesday nights at the Paulist Center’s food pantry.

“The Supper Club gives volunteers a chance to learn how a soup kitchen runs, meet church staff members, and interact with the Beacon Hill and Boston community,” said McKenna. Volunteers can sign up online at suffolk.edu/communityservice.

Other than donation drives, S.O.U.L.S. is holding events where attendees will learn and discuss issues concerning the homeless and hungry. The “Brushstrokes & Snapshots” presentation will take place at the Suffolk Poetry Center on Nov. 5 at 1-2:30 p.m. Artwork created by Boston’s homeless community, as well as clients of the Oasis Coalition and Heritage Apartments, will be on display. There will be a panel discussion on homelessness on Nov 12 in Donahue 403 at 2:30pm. On the following Tuesday, there will be a discussion called “Food For Thought: Obesity and Socioeconomic Status: Is there a Correlation?”

Participants will discuss issues of homelessness and hunger over lunch in Donahue 403 at 12:00-1:00 p.m.

S.O.U.L.S. will also host its annual Oxfan Hunger Banquet on in Donahue 403 on Thursday, Nov. 19 with faculty, staff, and students to see how others experience issues including class, hunger, and the distribution of wealth. The meal will be one of interaction and role-playing.

“This is an opportunity for faculty, staff, and students to learn how wealth distribution is effective and how many people are suffering from poverty. It will show first-hand the way hunger and poverty exists in the US versus the world,” said McKenna.

Program Council’s International Thanksgiving Dinner is hosted for Suffolk’s international students however, faculty, staff, and any other students are welcome to attend. Anyone is welcome to celebrate Thanksgiving Caribbean Style at the Carribean Student Network (CSN) Dinner on Tuesday, Nov. 24. Admission to each of these meals, as well as the Oxfan Hunger Banquet, is one dollar or a non-perishable item for the food drive.

There are donation boxes located at the Hub, the Sawyer Cafe, various academic departments, the S.O.U.L.S. office in Donahue 209, and the Beacon Hill Civic Association at 74 Joy St.

“Helping out [those in need] is a great way to give back and get connected with our community,” said McKenna.

All statistics are from the Suffolk, Oasis Coalition, and Paulist Center websites.