Luncheon brings soul to Black History Month

In honor of Black History Month, Suffolk’s Black Student Union organized their annual Soul Food Luncheon, bringing together not only members of their association, but also people from other school groups. Faculty, staff, and members of student government along with many other campus-based organizations were in attendance. The Soul Food Luncheon featured foods like mashed-potatoes, cornbread and fried chicken, which were only a few of the assorted foods served.

“The term Soul Food came from scraps of food that slaves would pick up after their masters were done eating and put them together,” explained Tabitha Cherilus, president of the Black Student Union (BSU).

This historical importance is a testament to the immense cultural impact it has, not only on Suffolk University, but the world as a whole.

The mood at the luncheon was that of relaxation and celebration as people gathered and socialized about numerous topics and issues. The luncheon culminated the festivities included in Black History Month, film-screenings, empowerment sessions for women of color, and a black-heritage trail. A multicultural summit held on February 26 was the last event sponsored by the BSU for Black History Month. February itself celebrated many of the positive aspects and contributions of black people to this country, holding a unique place in the calendar as the month where facts and stories are presented and repeated to emphasize the importance of African Americans in the growth and formation of the country. At the luncheon, this achievement was highlighted in terms of the progress that the United States has made in terms of unity amongst its diverse peoples.

The event sought to celebrate the culture and heritage of African Americans while giving insight into other aspects of their culture. “It was a nice event,” said Jacinda Felix Haro, the director of Diversity Services. She emphasized the fact that black culture was “more than food,” and that the exploration of minority cultures should not stop at gastronomy. This was the main point, as not only food was available, but also opportunities for interaction and socializing. The Soul Food Luncheon encapsulated many of the changing scenes of Suffolk University, like the evolving atmosphere of a traditional commuter school to a more residential, campus-based school. With events like the Soul Food Luncheon, a pattern of growth and change is evident. “Yeah, it was a great event,” said junior Ricaphele Lima. It successfully modeled the continued efforts by the BSU to host and improve events on campus. The organization is also working to continue its efforts of hosting and promoting other programs on campus, not just during Black History Month. Such events highlight the continued efforts made by many campus organizations to diversify Suffolk’s already-diverse culture.

“Unity should be the main goal in order to keep these diversity events happening,” said Tabitha Cherilus, president of BSU. She also stressed the need for continued support of such organizations through the ongoing participation, attendance and recognition of the Suffolk community.