S.O.U.L.S. to recruit for scholar prgram

If getting involved — you know, actually giving a damn about what’s going on here at Suffolk — is your thing, then perhaps the S.O.U.L.S. scholar program is right up your alley. According to Suffolk’s website, “Since 1997, Suffolk’s Organization for Uplifting Lives through Service (S.O.U.L.S.) has organized long and short-term service opportunities for members of the Suffolk University community.” The organization contributes both on and off campus, and dedicating oneself as a scholar means hard work with great benefits.

Molly Rodau, a Suffolk senior and S.O.U.L.S. scholar, knows a thing or two about community service. Last year, as a third-year transfer student, Rodau participated in alternative spring break and thought so highly of the experience that she decided to join S.O.U.L.S. and apply for its scholar program.

“It’s a really important role that you’re serving,” Rodau said. “You are also an AmeriCorps student leader in service, and it’s a really important title because you are serving your peers in your community. It’s a lot of work, but it’s a huge learning process, and it’s really beneficial to students to work in these positions and gain a lot of valuable experience.”

Scholars manage the weekly programs for students at large and work to partner Suffolk students with outside organizations. Rodau, who serves in the community partnership position, says that her day-to-day work includes “finding out what students are passionate about and where they can volunteer, and getting them involved in organizations.”

S.O.U.L.S. is accepting applications for scholars for next semester — one for the community partnership position and one for the campus partnership position. The community partnership position (currently upheld by Rodau) requires the scholar to work closely with the community and to connect students through service, encouraging them to participate in organizations outside of Suffolk. The campus partnership position entails reaching out to student groups and clubs, getting people involved in events, and recruiting students for volunteer opportunities.

“You get to be really involved in the planning process of all these programs we do, so you have a lot of input in what’s offered to students and what’s offered to you,” said Rodau.

Among other perks is a service scholar award of $5,000 that is divided up between weekly pay and scholarship money. Scholars also receive the AmeriCorps Education Award for $1,000. Anyone can apply, whether or  not you qualified for work study.

”We’re looking for someone who is really passionate about the issues that we work with, with social justice, and with keeping good relationships with our neighbors outside,” said Rodau. “In addition, [the scholar] would be someone who is a hard worker. It’s really a lot of work here, but it’s great work and you get an awesome experience.”

The application process is that of the pretty standard form submission and follow-up interview. A service scholar information session will be held tomorrow from 1 to 2:15 p.m. in the S.O.U.L.S. office (Donahue 209). Rodau and other student leaders will be present to speak with students and answer questions about the program.

“I always say that if this was a full-time job position with a salary that I would work here [after graduating],” concluded Rodau. “I encourage students to apply and to find out about the position because it’s a really unique opportunity that’s unique to Suffolk. Getting involved in S.O.U.L.S. on any level is really beneficial to students, so get involved!”