Guest ban at 150 Tremont continues

Article By: Ethan Long

Since the Journal’s initial article about the ban on residents at 150 Tremont, printed in last week’s issue, members of the Suffolk community have questioned the decision; among them, SGA President Brian LeFort.

“After I had read the article in last week’s Journal, I wanted to get some more information from the source, that being Res Life,” said LeFort. He visited the Residence Life office on the seventh floor of 73 Tremont, where he met with Office of Residence Life Director Rod Waters.

The Residence Life Office at 150 Tremont Street banned all residents’ guest privileges last Wednesday. A memo, sent by Amanda Grazioso, Assistant Director of Residence Life and Summer Programs, stated that “ALL guest priveleges [sic] will be revoked from the entire building until further notice.” Another memo was sent out the previous week warning students that the ban would happen if behavior in the building did not improve.

The memo, received by students on Tuesday, Nov. 3, stated the damage done to the building during the Halloween weekend. “Over the weekend, not only were signs torn down, but shaving cream and permanent marker were used to vandalize the elevators ($300cleaning), a stairway railing was torn off ($250 repair), and a shower head was torn out of the wall causing flooding/water damage on at least 5 floors ($800 repair and cleaning).”

“My basic concern was, is the ban of guests and the no guest policy a test, a pilot, was it temporary, or a long term solution? [Waters] informed me that it is a temporary ban and he’s hopeful that it will be lifted this week or next week based on the behaviors of the students in 150—if they are acting appropriately,” said LeFort. “After finding out it was temporary, I was able to understand why they went there and targeted who was responsible for the activities.“

The memo sent out last week urged those who knew anything to reach the Residence Life office and give them any information. The ban put into effect has brought up questions as to how much longer it will be for those who have information to turn in friends or peers who they know are in cahoots with those responsible for the vandalism and behavior the residence hall saw over the past semester.

“I just wish people would grow a sac and be like – ‘Look, I did it’,” said sophomore Allison Sparta, while standing outside of 150 Tremont. “I do think that the administration, the people who are doing this, are just doing their jobs.”

Residents who spoke to the Journal said that they fully understand why the ban was put into effect, citing that they know that the Office of Residence Life is trying to help make their community safe and sound.

“I’m not mad at the staff as much as I’m mad at the people who ruined this place. Because why would you want to make it into the condition it is now? Why would you make it into a shithole? This is your home,” said sophomore Alex Volpe.

While some are hopeful that the investigation will eventually find its end, some are still speaking out against the ban due to former plans that now have an unforeseeable solution.
Matt Calivas, a freshman, is concerned about what his friends, who were supposed to visit soon, are going to do. “My boys from Loyola, in Maryland, are coming next weekend. That’s bullshit that they can’t get in. This is ridiculous. Where else are they gonna stay?”

“This is fucking bullshit. My cousins already bought $100 train tickets for Nov.  21 and if they can’t get in, all hell will break loose from my mother, she’s very pissed,” said freshman Emma Hutchison.

While the memo didn’t state whether or not students from the 10 West Residence Hall would be able to continue to eat in the 150 Tremont cafeteria, many continued to just enter the building with no problems. Freshman Caterina Duguay was one of those worried about the effects the ban might have on herself and her fellow 10 West Residents who walk down West Street everyday to eat.

“If I wasn’t able to eat here, then I wouldn’t really want to go that far,” Duguay said. Duguay noted that the food that she and her roommates had left in their fridge was becoming scarce when the ban came, and that they became worried about having to run to the Law School, Miller Hall, or even Donahue for a bite to eat. “I’m glad that everyone in West is keeping West nice though.”

LeFort, who was worried about the dorms’ sense of community, seemed relieved that the ban wasn’t permanent. LeFort still stresses that something has to be done about those individuals who feel the need to commit such acts that were described in the memo as “urinating and defacating [sic] in common areas.”

“Something is causing individuals to do these acts. It’s a shame that people come back at two in the morning after partying and do this. Something needs to be done,” said LeFort.

As for when the ban will be lifted,  LeFort says, “It’s a waiting game right now.”

As of this printing, no comment has been received from Residence Life or the Suffolk Public Affairs Office, despite numerous attempts.