Suffolk students have spook-tacular fun this Halloween

Leo Woods
A house in Beacon Hill chose Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce themed decorations for this Halloween.

This Halloween, Suffolk University students’ exams were not the only events frightening them. From walking through Boston’s scary sights to heading to costume parties or watching horror movies, students are excited to celebrate the holiday. 

The biggest tradition of Halloween is in its costumes, and Suffolk students are having a blast choosing them. Syeda Tabassum, a junior majoring in marketing, is planning to dress up as the Grinch to explore Boston with her friends. 

“It’s not December yet, but I think the colors are super fun,” she said. 

Other costumes Suffolk students are wearing this Halloween include cowgirls and cowboys, Barbie dolls, superheroes, black swans and even pickles.

Willow Westbrook, a sophomore, matched costumes with friends.

“My friends and I went to a couple of parties with other friends that go to school in Boston,” she said. “We dressed up as characters from ‘Alice in Wonderland.’”

Even students who didn’t have the opportunity to do something for Halloween shared the costumes they planned to wear.  

“I did nothing for Halloween because I got sick, but I would have been Spider-Man,” said sophomore Ella Licata. 

While sophomore Preston Thavone had many ideas for costumes this year, he decided to dress up as a cowgirl. 

“I originally wanted to dress up as a Playboy bunny, but I think I will try to find a cowgirl costume at Primark since it is easier and cheaper to get my hands on,” Thavone said. 

However, some people prefer to cozy up and stay inside this year. Freshmen Lauren Faltz and Madison Nichole are some of them. 

“One of my suitemates and I will get junk food and watch random horror movies,” Faltz said. 

When asked about their favorite Halloween traditions, Tabassum said that mixing and matching costumes with friends is her favorite thing to do. Thavone said he really loves taking his little siblings trick or treating. 

“My little brother is a Halloween fanatic so this is his favorite month,” Thavone said. 

This holiday is a hot topic on Suffolk’s campus as well. 

Resident assistants planned events in the dorms for those who want to spend time on campus and Suffolk’s Program Council held “Scream Fest” and the iconic Halloween Bash to start off the festivities. Suffolk Performing Arts Office also held a Halloween Karaoke Oct. 26 with Rampage and Asian American Association in Sawyer. 

Halloween celebrations and traditions have certainly changed over time, but students believe they are getting better and bringing back memories as they grow up. 

I think it’s going in the right direction as I have more fun every year,” Tabassum said. 

For some students, Halloween festivities provide an opportunity to let loose and have fun.

We all embrace dressing up and being silly on Halloween weekend. I am glad we are all grown up enough to enjoy our youth, dress up and be silly together,” Thavone said. 

Happy Halloween Rams!