How to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in Boston

James Bartlett
Emmets, located right on Suffolk’s campus, provides authentic Irish meals and drinks.

St. Patrick’s Day is almost here. After two years of COVID-19 cancellations, Boston is ready to begin one of its most historical and longest-running cultural celebrations.

Boston is known for having one of the largest and most visible Irish communities in the U.S. and offers no shortage of activities to celebrate the Emerald Isle.

View the parade

2022 marks the return of one of Boston’s most famous cultural events, the St. Patrick’s Day parade.

South Boston will host the parade on Sunday, March 20, with a route that starts at the Broadway MBTA station and ends at Farragut Road.

The parade has become a staple for those who live in Boston, whether you’re a long-time local or a university student, and the beloved event welcomes people from any walk of life to enjoy the festivities.

Eat Irish food

There is no better way to experience a culture than to try its food, and Boston has more than enough Irish pubs to do so at. The easiest commute from Suffolk University’s campus to get an Irish meal is at Emmets Pub and Restaurant, located on Beacon Street in Beacon Hill.

Located next to Suffolk’s 73 Tremont building, Emmets has a cozy and charming feel to it and is the brother bar and restaurant of the more modern and flashy Roxanne’s, which sits just next door.

Many of the employees at the pub are from Ireland themselves and are pleasant whether you’re coming in for a pint or a meal, especially a bartender named David, who’s a favorite of The Journal staff.

Emmets regularly has live Irish music, especially on weekends and holidays.

The menu is a mix of bar food and more traditional Irish dishes. The Guinness onion soup is a great choice on a cold winter day and the grilled reuben and grilled corned beef sandwiches are also great options to have whenever you’re in the mood for a good meal.

For the over 21 crowd, the bar has a mix of typical drinks, as well as their own homebrew beer and cocktails, including their self-proclaimed “Best Irish Coffee in Boston.”

Experience live music

For those looking to celebrate the holiday in the form of music, Boston has a variety of different opportunities to hear Irish tunes.

Boston’s own Celtic punk stars, Dropkick Murphys will be playing four straight shows on St. Patrick’s day weekend.

The “Shipping Up to Boston” artists will be playing at the House of Blues March 17, 18 and 19, as well as one of the city’s newest venues, Roadrunner, to end their St. Patrick’s Day tour.

WGBH’s Brian O’Donovan will also be hosting two St. Patrick’s Day Celtic Sojourn shows of traditional Celtic music at the Somerville Theatre on March 19, along with other shows around Massachusetts.

Follow James on Twitter @James_Bartlett8.