S.O.C.S. Wrap up and exceeds goal

Louis Dapilma
Journal Staff

The entrepreneurial project with a community service twist wrapped up last Tuesday with a party on the fourth floor of Donahue. The Suffolk University Organization for the Collection of Socks (S.O.C.S.) for vets celebrated a successful initiative that raised $225 only on the first day. The celebration gave a pat on the back to the group of 32 students and volunteers who were led by Suffolk senior Odie Fakhouri.

The initiative began with $5 donations to purchase socks for homeless veterans registered at the New England Center for Homeless Veterans. Accompanying each pair is a paper sock on which the donor can write a supportive message.

Many local businesses, including Cafe Quattro, Kabloom flowers and Red Hat, collaborated with the initiative and raised money through their own events and campaigns. “It was a real experience for entrepreneurship” said Fakhouri.

The S.O.C.S. all-you-can-eat buffet took place at the Red Hat on November 1. The event was open to both students and the public for a $5 donation, all of which were donated to the cause.

The venture was succeeded as it incorporated the model of a business. Fakhouri. said out the group of 32 students were sub-grouped into smaller teams for different project tasks. There were groups for public relations, financials, sales, and marketing. Organization and the determination of the students were cited in addition as part of the reasons for the project’s outcome.

As the party continued, Fakhouri. thanked all participants and volunteers. “I want to thank the Student Government Association, Courtney Porcella, Catalina Lopez and Ed Plumonsky.” He also recognized Professor Suzyn Ornstein as the mentoring presence and guide to the group through the technical aspects of the project.

He also credited Allegra for making the printing and imaging material, which he said was essential in helping advertise the project. “In selling this initiative, I have been able to do it without cost.” He said this was one of the ways that they were fortunate in the execution of the project.

In one month’s time, the project raised a total of $5,000, succeeding the original goal by $1,000.

When asked what he learned from the experience as a whole, Fakhouri said, “people don’t buy what you do but why you do it”.