French cross-country runner adjusts to Suffolk

Courtesy+of+Guilaume+Glaudel+
Courtesy of Guilaume Glaudel

For many students here at Suffolk University, being an athlete can be tough. The same goes for being an international student, but balancing both of these things takes persistence and courage. Freshman cross-country runner Guilaume Glaudel has exemplified both of these traits.

Coming over to the United States from France, Glaudel was determined and excited to start his collegiate career with Suffolk. He knew it was essential to diversify his athletic experience by immersing himself in American culture, when it came to both sports and education.

“I believe it is very important to discover other lifestyles and cultures especially as a student-athlete in order to understand other points of view,” said Glaudel in an interview with The Suffolk Journal. “The U.S. was a great opportunity to do so while improving my English and attending high-quality courses.”

The former Great Northeast Athletic (GNAC)Conference Rookie Of The Week strives to get better every day, even when he may not be at one-hundred percent. At the end of last season, Glaudel suffered a foot injury, but he is still running while training his foot to get better. The 10-year track runner is confident and excited, no matter if the odds are stacked against him.

“It’s very pleasant to train with the Suffolk team,” said Glaudel. “We have a good group, coach and all recovery facilities are great and helpful. We’ll do a great job.”

Even though winning a championship is the mission, Glaudel’s goal is to get back to full health so he can help carry the team to success. Last season, he improved in his 800-meter race time before getting hurt. He looks forward to more improvement once he has fully recovered.

The Battle of the Boston Common is coming up for the Rams and the GNAC Championship shortly follows. While it’s important for Glaudel to be dialed in on the track for these upcoming events, he knows there is an equipoise when it comes to being a collegiate athlete.

“Finding the right balance between sports and studying is not an issue for me,” said Glaudel. “In France, I trained and had classes all day long, making it difficult to recover. Here, it’s easier.”

Glaudel has many opportunities to look forward to as a freshman at Suffolk. The key to success for this freshman is having faith in himself and being committed to the process.

“I find that Suffolk is the perfect fit for me, and I am one-hundred percent invested in my sport,” said Glaudel.