Filed under Staff Editorial

First Amendment remains cornerstone of American democracy

For a school that seems to harp on the importance of inclusivity, diversity and free expression it’s contradictory to see such an uproar amongst students when presented with a set of ideals different from their own. Earlier this week informational flyers were posted around the campus regarding a controversial conservative speaker, Christina Hoff-Sommers, who is scheduled to speak on campus. Many of these posters have been ripped off of the walls and thrown in the trash. What needs to be considered here is that oppression under the guise of combating oppression, is still oppression.

Limiting first amendment rights is counterproductive to any political agenda, no matter the circumstances. By remaining ignorant to opposing viewpoints, it offers the idea that personal opinions, may in fact, not be strong enough to withstand opposition. We go to this university to try to test what we believe in, not to clamp our hands over our ears and refuse to acknowledge difference, isn’t that what started this partisan feud the first place?

To get the most out of your educational experience, you must immerse yourself in all forms of thought. Only then will you be informed enough to formulate educated beliefs and opinions. By blindly restricting free speech on campus, we will become part of the problem that has fueled identity politics and a country divided. Leave the posters, go to the discussion – or don’t, it doesn’t matter. That’s your right, but don’t infringe on others.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “First Amendment remains cornerstone of American democracy”

1. Nicolas Martin on March 29th, 2018 9:59 pm

Thank for your firm stand for free speech.

2. Anonymous on March 31st, 2018 12:10 am

I call bullshit. These flyers are intentionally inflammatory (denying the existence of rape culture, white supremacy, etc.) and are being placed in areas of campus that flyers are prohibited in. This is not free speech. This is hate speech.

3. Killer Marmot on March 31st, 2018 3:39 pm

Well said, but I’m afraid that those who ripped down these posters are fanatics who can not fathom the possibility that anyone other than themselves have anything worthy to say. They have deafened themselves to the rest of the world.

4. Killer Marmot on April 14th, 2018 10:11 am

First, you are factually wrong. The posters do not deny the existence of rape culture or white supremacy. Sommers might, but the posters do not.

Second, it’s clear that your definition of “hate speech” is espousing views that you strongly disagree with. Well the Canadian courts have laid out what constitutes hate speech, and that ain’t it.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.