Martin kicks record

Although senior Jennifer Martin showcased her scoring ability throughout her Suffolk University career, the key asset was her consistency. Martin set a women’s soccer team record after starting in 69 games as a Ram. She found herself in the starting lineup in at least 15 games of every season during her career. Martin played a crucial role in the team’s game plan.

In her final season as a Lady Ram, Martin started all 16 games, recording 12 goals and 29 points. Even with starting so many games, her production never faltered. In her four seasons, Martin played 71 out of 73 games for the Lady Rams. Even with the heavy schedule and playing time, Martin seemed anything but tired.

“I wish we had a game everyday, that would be ideal. I want to play 90 minutes of every game and never want to come off the field,” said Martin in a recent interview with The Suffolk Journal.

After three years of being a solidified starter, Martin was named captain her senior season. Despite all of her success, Martin still had a goal in mind that she had not accomplished. The senior captain was focused on ending Lasell College’s five-year undefeated streak in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC). On Sept. 27, Lasell traveled to East Boston Memorial field to play Martin and the Lady Rams. After 90 minutes, it was Suffolk who came out on top to beat Lasell 2-0.

“Beating Lasell was my biggest achievement at Suffolk. Our hard work ended up paying off,” said forward Martin.

In starting 69 games, Martin broke the all time Suffolk women’s soccer record of most games started, formerly held by Gabrielle Balestrier in 2013, who had started 65 games.

“I’ve put my heart and soul into the game and it’s crazy after four years I broke the record,” said Martin.

Martin was inserted into the starting lineup  her freshman year, starting 15 of the team’s 17 games. In those 15 games she was the second leading scorer on the team, accounting for 11 points.  Despite the team going 5-9-3 in her freshman season, Martin was a bright spot and had already proven to be a consistent piece.

“I always push myself to be the best soccer player I can be. I’m very hard on myself but I believe that has truly made me a better player,” said Martin.

Martin’s teammates also felt that her constant motivation made them better players.

“[Martin] motivates everyone each and everyday both on and off the field. She’s a great teammate and friend who always works hard. We will definitely miss her next year,” said junior teammate Melissa Adamo in a recent interview with The Journal.

In her sophomore season, Martin led the team with 19 points, playing in all 19 games. Starting in 18 of them, Martin’s name became consistent in the Ram’s starting line-up, and stayed that way throughout her career. Martin also fired 44 shots on goal throughout the season, almost doubling the second highest team total.

“Playing with [Martin] is fast-paced. When she’s on her game there’s no stopping her,” said junior midfielder Veronica Bernardo in an interview with The Journal.

In Martin’s junior year, after coming off  a 4-15 season her sophomore year, the Lady Rams had their best season since Martin joined the team. Suffolk went 11-10 and made it to the GNAC semifinals before losing 1-0 to Albertus Magnus College in double overtime. Martin tallied 16 goals and 34 points, while starting in 20 out of the 21 games played that season.

“My biggest learning experience has been learning it is okay to make mistakes. If you dwell on your mistakes, you’ll only end up playing worse. Mindset is everything,” said Martin.

After four years playing in a Suffolk University uniform, Martin finished her career on Saturday, in a 3-1 loss against Lasell.