Event Breakdown 9/14-9/18

Hello Suffolk students! We hope your first few days back have been great! Now in addition to classes there are also so many fun events to check out on campus, and here are the ones you can check out this week!

Monday 9/14

Alternative Spring Break (ASB) Information Session

Are you interested in joining fellow Suffolk students for a week of service during your spring break? Over one hundred students will have the opportunity to travel to various locations across the United States to volunteer in communities of need. Attend an information session to learn more about the trips and how to apply.

Location and Time: Somerset 115 4:00 PM-5:00 PM

How to Interview with Confidence

What does it take for an international student to interview confidently for a U.S. employer? This session will address this question and international students will also learn about various types of interviews, tough interview questions and guidelines on how to answer them.

Location and Time 4:00 PM-5:00 PM

Tuesday 9/15

SL-Ice Cream Event!

Join the Office of Student Leadership and Involvement outside of the Somerset building for FREE ice cream on Tuesday, Sept. 15th!

Location and Time: 12:00-2:00 PM

Back to the Future: Old School Tricks for New Age Sports Journalism

Speaker: A. Sherrod Blakely, Digital Media Reporter at Comcast SportsNet

We’ll discuss ways to jazz up your Twitter and Facebook posts, make your Periscope videos pop and your blog bulge at its digital seams because of all the traffic! And there’s an old school trick that helps make this happen.

Location and Time: Stahl Center 1:00-3:00 PM

Family Dinner: Navigating Suffolk – Queer Welcome Dinner for LGBTQ+ Students

Come hang out, get connected, and talk about life at Suffolk, coming out as LGBTQ, roommates, families, and more! Pizza will be served!

Location and Time: Miller Residence Hall 5:00-7:00 PM

Meet the Greeks Trivia Night!

Join Theta Phi Alpha and Sigma Alpha Epsilon for FREE fried dough and churros and test your pop culture knowledge in the Somerset Cafe!

Location and Time: Somerset Cafe 6:30-9:30 PM

Wednesday 9/16

Cooking 101

Cooking 101 is an interactive class taught by Suffolk University’s Dining Services (Sodexho).  They teach students how to prepare a variety of dishes using fresh ingredients with easy to follow directions.  Students enjoy this interactive class because they can see how foods are prepared, ask questions, and sample the dishes that are prepared.

Location and Time: Somerset Cafe 12:00 AM

Why Yes, There IS an App for That!

Are you overwhelmed by the number of software applications available to help you with your everyday tasks? Tired of hearing people say “there’s an app for that”, then learning that there’s not just one, but several different flavors to choose from.  How do you choose?  Where do you start? Please note that there will be a $25.00 no-show fee applied to each of these events. If you RSVP to an event and are unable to attend, you MUST notify our office within 24 hours.

Location and Time: 12:00 PM-1:00 PM

Wednesday Night Paulist Center Supper Club

Help serve meals at the Paulist Center to those in need. Meet at the Center for Community Engagement, Donahue 209, at 4:45 pm. This is a weekly opportunity limited to the first 5 volunteers who R.S.V.P. through SUconnect.

Location and Time: D209 4:45-7:00 PM

FallFest Auditions

FallFest is Suffolk’s annual variety show that takes place during Homecoming Weekend. This is Suffolk’s longest running arts tradition, and will feature songs, dances and sketches: performers of all types are welcome to audition. FallFest is the first production show of the year, and we hope you will get involved in this great show! Auditions to be part of the company or to be an emcee are happening Wednesday (9/16). Sign up to audition on the bulletin board outside of the PAO (Donahue 409).

Location and Time: Donahue Building 5:00 PM-9:00 PM

Coffee Hour

Stop by the Office of Diversity Services for Coffee Hour on Thursday morning between the hours of 9:00 – 11:00 am. Enjoy free bagels, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate!

Location and Time: Archer 481 9:00-11:00 AM

Location and Time: NESAD 204 1:00-2:00 PM

Celebrate Constitution Day!

The History Department will be handing out pocket-sized Constitutions in the Sawyer lobby, Somerset lobby and at the rear-door entrance way of 73 Tremont. Snacks will be provided! Co-sponsored by the Government Department.

Location and Time: 1:00-2:30 PM, Sawyer, Somerset, and 73 Tremont

Out of New England Student Social

Are you from out of New England? Are you interested with connecting from peers from your home state? Stop by the Out of New England Student Social in D403!

Location and Time: D403 1:00-2:00

OUtSIDE THE COURTROOM: Go Behind the Scenes of a Criminal Trial with FBI Special Agent and Suffolk Law Alumnus David Bell

FBI Special Agent David S. Bell, JD ’96 describes what goes on behind the scenes of a high-profile Boston criminal case. Get a glimpse inside one of the world’s preeminent law enforcement organizations, learn how decisions are made in the context of a high pressure, high visibility investigation, and discover how law enforcement interacts with the media in the digital age.

Location and Time: Sargent Hall 5:30-7:30 PM

Prison Book Program

Join us for an evening of service at the Prison Book Program in Quincy to help promote education and literacy for prisoners. Read letters from prisoners and sort and package books to be sent to them. Volunteers meet at the Center for Community Engagement, Donahue 209, at 5:30 and travel together to Quincy. This is a weekly opportunity limited to the first 6 volunteers who R.S.V.P. through SUconnect.

Location and Time: D209 5:30-8:00 PM

Friday 9/18

Pokemon Tournament

Test your might at our Pokemon tournament! Bring your best singles team following VGC rules, and compete for first place! We’ll have raffles and contests throughout the night, so come down and try your luck! It will be held in the Donahue Cafe.

Location and Time: Donahue Cafe 5:00-10:00 PM

See an event you like? Well then definitely stop by, and why not bring a friend? Stay tuned for our future event breakdowns of all the arts and culture events happening right on campus!