Unity Week sweeps over Suffolk

The week in summary: What’s it all about?

Article by: Angela Bray

Suffolk’s Unity Week continues to rock the university with events, discussions and cultural celebrations. The events kicked off last Saturday with the third annual Multicultural Summit, Respectful Confrontation: The Practice of Compassionate Engagement, which was presented by the Office of Diversity Services.

Unity Week annually organizes events consisting of speakers, entertainment, dialogues, classes, music, and food. The relationships of different groups are demonstrated to share diverse perspectives, cultures, and backgrounds.

Two events, Explore Spain! and Explore Japan!, took place on Sunday evening and were sponsored by the Off-Campus Housing Office, the Office of Residence Life and Summer Programs, the Study Abroad Office and the Theater Department. Explore Spain! took place in the 150 Tremont dorm, and Explore Japan! in Miller Hall, where both on and off campus students were invited to attend and experience the cultures. Activities pertaining to Spain included tasting Spanish tapas and learning about the art of Flamenco dance. Students could also learn about studying at Suffolk’s Madrid campus.

In Miller Hall, attendees tasted oriental dishes, created origami, and learned about study abroad experiences in Asia. “I walked into the Miller lobby and saw something was going on,” said freshman Kay Dosu. “I got really good sushi and walked away with a cool origami dragon!”

“It’s another step towards spreading cultural awareness,” said sophomore Jamie Pestana. “I think [Explore Spain! and Explore Japan!] were a good way of bringing cultural diversity to the dorms.”

Program Council, Student Leadership and Involvement, and Office of Retention Services brought in Nick Verreos, a contestant from the second season of Project Runway on Monday night to speak to Suffolk students. The event had  high attendance and played a solid part in Unity Week.

“I am so happy how well [Nick Verreos’ lecture] went. We had a great turnout, and I was so pleased to see how grateful people were that we brought in Nick Verreos to speak. They continually thanked us, and that’s what keeps me motivated to program!” said sophomore Sam Andrea, the Program Council Special Events/Traditions Chair.

On Monday night Program Council and SGA added to the Unity Week celebration by presenting the Oscar-nominated film Precious (Lee Daniels Entertainment, 2009) in the Donahue cafe. The movie is about an overweight, illiterate African-American teen with her second child on the way, attempting to go back to school and make a life for herself. “I enjoyed it,” said freshman Justin Dulak. “The atmosphere was light and the room was packed. Almost every seat was filled. The movie was fascinating as well.”

Unity Week activities are continuing throughout the week. Today, in 73 Tremont’s Amenities Conference Room from 3 – 4:30 p.m., there will be a discussion on the importance of the complexity of diversity to Suffolk University brought to you by the class Management 322, Managing Diversity in the Workplace with Dr. Ulric Johnson. The event is sponsored by the Office of Human Resources.

The Unity Week Showcase tomorrow evening at 7 p.m. at the C. Walsh Theater is a show that will give students the opportunity to share their cultures through performances and expression.

“So far,” said Andrea. “I think Unity Week is doing exactly what it was hoping to do: attract all different groups of students and encourage them to come out, get some free food, prizes, interact with different students and enjoy being a part of Suffolk University.”