Suffolk to sell Donahue and Archer

Suffolk University announced on Tuesday its plans to sell the Donahue and Archer buildings, according to Vice President of Government and Community Affairs John Nucci.

The plan was also announced to faculty in an email message from Interim President Norman Smith.

The buildings, which are located on Temple Street and share hallways connecting the two, are being sold by real estate company Jones Lang LaSalle.  Nucci said there is no specific deadline on the close of the sale, and “We’re going to do our best to market the property.”

The two buildings host classrooms used by classes in the College of Arts and Sciences. Donahue is also home to the financial aid office, registrar’s office, and bursar’s office.

“While many final decisions remain outstanding, we presently see great promise for improved conditions for virtually all activities currently operating in the Temple Street buildings,” Smith said in the statement.

A transition for the buildings was already in place, as all classrooms were planned to move into Suffolk’s new building, 20 Somerset, opening in fall 2015.

News of the buildings going on the market created shock across campus.

“I’m just confused,” said Devin Longland when she learned of the plan to sell the buildings. As a student employee of the office of orientation and new student programs, she was curious as to where the buildings clubs and offices would go.
“It just seems kind of silly,” said Longland, a senior in the psychology department. “Why would you jump the gun?”
Patrick Heaton, the director of the office of orientation and new student programs was startled to hear the news was official after seeing an article from the Boston Business Journal on the matter.
“I’m curious about the university plan,” said Heaton. “I’m particularly interested in what will happen to the theatre department and the C. Walsh.”